The educational mission of the M.S. in Forensic Science degree program at ASU will advance the University, division and college missions by preparing qualified majors to pursue professional careers in the forensic sciences. The program endeavors to produce graduates who can apply the current methodology for the forensic examination of physical evidence using national standards of examination and abide by the code of ethics of the profession (AAFS), including the importance of a non-biased approach to the examination of forensic evidence.
Goals of the M.S. in Forensic Science Program
- Prepare science majors in the biological and chemical sciences with advanced methodological knowledge, skills, and abilities to enter and practice in the field of forensic examination of evidence.
- Provide the State of Alabama with high-quality forensic practitioners to work in the State’s forensic laboratory system and to prepare scientists that can also work in the growing private sector for forensic providers.
- Contribute to elevating the State of Alabama’s national position as an emerging leading source of graduate-level professional education and capacity in the forensic sciences.
Applicants to the M.S. program in Forensic Science must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, forensic chemistry, or biology, or related field
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a four-point scale for the last 60 hours of study
- GRE combined score (verbal and quantitative) of at least 300 (950 old GRE score)
- Coursework requirements:
- General chemistry, 2 semesters
- Organic chemistry, 2 semesters
- Biochemistry, 1 semester
- Physics, 2 semesters
- Cell biology, 1 semester
For more information see the M.S. in Forensic Science Curriculum Guide (.pdf).
Below are estimated tuition and costs for full-time graduate students residing on-campus during the 2017-18 academic year. Actual costs and fees may vary depending on enrollment and lifestyle decisions. You also may wish to review estimated tuition and costs for part-time graduate enrollment on our complete budget worksheet.
For a breakdown of fees by credit hour and by semester, download the 2017-18 Schedule of Student Tuition and Fees.
|Other Estimated Expenses|
About the School
The fundamental mission of The Murphy Graduate School is to (1) provide leadership for the University’s doctorate, educational specialist, master’s and certificate level, post-baccalaureate degree pro ... Read More