There is no city in the world like San Francisco. Transform your career in the SF Bay Area with the USF Master of Science in Financial Analysis.
The USF location can directly impact career outcomes. Our downtown campus puts you in the heart of the San Francisco financial district. You’ll build your professional network with leading financial firms and global companies located just blocks away.
Designed for recent graduates and students in the early stages of their careers, the full-time MSFA is a one-and-a-half-year program that includes a Research Project or Academic Immersion.
The Latest Technology and Certifications
Acquire essential skills for analyzing financial data through Bloomberg lab terminals in our dedicated trading room, and earn highly sought-after Bloomberg certificates and expertise.
Our program focuses on the knowledge required by the CFA® designation as a Chartered Financial Analyst CFA Institute Affiliated University.
The MSFA is a STEM-designated degree program, offering a blend of disciplines in science, technology, engineering and mathematics with business and finance.
- Taught by USF Finance faculty and CFA-credentialed practitioners who are experts in their area.
- The USF Master of Science in Financial Analysis program is a CFA Institute Affiliate University.
- The USF finance degree required courses include Micro & Macroeconomics, Equity and Fixed-Income Valuation, Derivatives, Portfolio Management, Alternative Investments, and Ethics and Finance. The programs also enhance real-world uses of several spreadsheet applications.
- Degree program details describe more about this 18-month program with 35 units.
- Meets three days per week.
- No work experience required.
- Accredited by the AACSB, the highest standard of achievement held only by 5% of business schools worldwide
- This STEM Designated program (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) offers a blend of disciplines in science and technology with business and management.
Full-Time MS in Financial Analysis
Investment management has evolved from an art to a science in the last three decades. This evolution has placed strict demands on practitioners to master the complex analytical and quantitative methods increasingly used in managing the investment process.
In response to the demands that today's sophisticated financial markets place on financial professionals, the University of San Francisco offers a STEM-certified Master of Science degree in Financial Analysis (MSFA) that provides rigorous specialist training in recent advances in quantitative financial analysis and economics.
The MSFA curriculum is structured around the areas of knowledge and skills deemed necessary for the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation by the CFA Institute. The MSFA program has been an Academic Program Partner of the CFA Institute since 2006, and our curriculum covers the majority of the CFA exam body of knowledge. Students may choose to take the CFA exams while in the MSFA program but are not required to do so.
The MSFA program at USF provides a coordinated, sequential approach to the tools and knowledge covered by the CFA Body of Knowledge. The MSFA curriculum is focused on bringing together finance theory and finance practice. Instructors in the program are a unique blend of USF professors and working CFA charter holders from local Bay Area firms. A thesis is not required for this program.
The USF MSFA program places a strong emphasis on ethical professional behavior in the financial industry--a characteristic that is integrated throughout the course of study.
Students graduate from the USF MSFA program with advanced quantitative training in economics and finance. Our graduates have the ability to understand and apply the most current tools used by investment management professionals today.
Program Learning Outcomes
In this program you will:
- Use an interdisciplinary approach to the valuation of financial assets and the development of investment management strategies.
- Master the fundamental economic techniques for valuing companies and the financial assets they issue.
- Understand the shortcomings of traditional accounting practice in the valuation process.
- Apply quantitative methods and economic theory to the analysis and management of financial asset portfolios.
- Develop a broad understanding of the micro, macro and international trends that influence the values of financial assets and the evolution of financial markets.
- Come away from the program with a thorough understanding of industry practice and standards as embodied in the skills and knowledge required by the CFA program.
Your Professional Network is Just Steps Away — and Reaches Around the World.
As a USF student, you’ll have a strong support community of successful MSFA alumni.
Many of our former students are working just a few steps away from us in downtown San Francisco, at firms like BlackRock, Visa, and Charles Schwab.
Many of our international students return to their home countries, so you’ll gain access to a truly global network of fellow alumni.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 26, 2018