The Master of Science in Environmental Quality Sciences prepares students to address the challenges of global environmental issues: development of alternative water and energy resources, water and soil pollution treatment, waste recycling, agricultural intensification, environmentally-sustainable pest control, and plant protection, and related economics.
The multidisciplinary program is taught by academic staff from the Robert H. Smith Faculty's Environmental Quality and Natural Resources in Agriculture department and the Agricultural Research Center's Volcani Institute. The courses cover broad areas of scientific research, such as environmental microbiology, ecology, soil and water, economics, weed control, botany, and plant protection. The common denominator of these diverse fields is the goal to understand and promote processes that affect and improve the quality of the environment and nurture a sustainable agricultural environment for future generations.
The one-year program leads to a non-thesis Master of Science in Agriculture majoring in Environmental Quality Sciences. After successful completion of the first year, qualified graduates can be reviewed for admission to the thesis track for the second year of studies to earn a thesis degree, and continue for a Ph.D. degree either in Israel or elsewhere. Upon completion of their studies, the majority of alumni return to their home countries, where they hold key positions in industry, education, academics, research, NGOs, and government organizations.
- Understand and address the challenges of global environmental issues, such as alternative water and energy resources, water and soil pollution treatment, waste recycling, agricultural intensification, environmentally-sustainable pest control, and plant protection.
- Benefit from the experience of leading scientists in environmental quality sciences.
- Take part in innovative, groundbreaking research in the lab.
- Acquire the practical knowledge and hands-on experience.
- Enjoy an international atmosphere, site visits, field trips, and cultural events.
2020-21 Environmental Quality Sciences Curriculum
- Introduction to Molecular Biology
- Water Quality Workshop
- Experimental Design and Statistical Analyses + Practice
- Scientific Writing and Presentation
- Integrated Pest Management
- Chemistry of the Environment
- Basic Irrigation Systems
- Environmental Economics
- Biotechnology for Agricultural Crops
- Research Methods (three semesters)
- Global Pollution Workshop
- Reclaimed Water and Environmental Aspects
- Aquatic Geochemistry
- Biological Control of Agricultural Pests
- Ecological Principles in Spatial Conservation Planning
- Environmental Microbiology
- Microbial Ecology of Aquaculture Systems
- Weed Management
- Plant-Microbe Interactions
- Workshop in Basic Python
- Research Exercise
- B.Sc. degree from a recognized university in a relevant field: agriculture, land and water resources, agricultural engineering, chemistry, ecology, environment, soil science.
- GPA of 80 or above (B- on the letter scale).
- High level of proficiency in all English skills, documented by one of the following: At least 89 on the TOEFL internet-based test; At least 6.0 on the IELTS
- Documentation of previous academic studies conducted in English.
- Three letters of recommendation; at least one must be academic (not from family members).
- Relevant experience is recommended but not mandatory.
How to Apply to the 2020-21 MSc in Environmental Quality Sciences
We are no longer accepting scholarship applications for this academic year.
If you wish to apply to the 2020-21 programs in Plant Sciences or Environmental Quality Sciences as a self-funding student, please contact:
- Ms. Nurit Ben-Aharon: email@example.com
- Ms. Miriam Elbaz: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply to the 2022-23 MSc in Environmental Quality Sciences
- The Application Handbook and application forms will be posted in July 2021.
- Applications for admission with scholarship: November 1, 2021 - March 1, 2022.
- Applications for admission: November 1, 2021 - June 1, 2022.
About the School
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem is consistently ranked as the top university in Israel and among the top 100, worldwide. In addition, The University was ranked the top Israeli university and 201-20 ... Read More