The Master of Science in Environmental Management (MSEM) with specialization in Environmental Risk Management and Assessment offers an outstanding and updated curriculum which prepares students to assume management responsibilities required by today’s environmental field.
The academic and field experiences of the School allow students to develop the competencies in the area of environmental management which will enable them to assume leadership positions in the public and private sectors. The main goal of this program is to prepare an educated and skilled professional that contributes to solving the environmental problems of the world to achieve a sustainable development.
The M.S.E.M. has been structured considering the following highlights:
- To understand the population dynamics, the use of natural resources and environmental pollution.
- To develop managerial skills that allow the quality control of the environmental programs.
- To know and apply the scientific planning strategies required for environmental problem analysis.
- To analyze the fundamentals of cost-benefit, environmental planning, and economic development.
- To evaluate the environmental laws that regulate the economic and social development in Puerto Rico.
- To train outstanding professionals that will promote a positive relationship between the use of our natural resources and the sustainable development.
The students interested in our program should comply with the following requirements:
- Have earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Sciences, Biology, Geology or Engineering from an accredited university.
- Submit an application containing: - Official transcripts of all university studies - Three letters of recommendation from qualified persons about the candidate’s academic and/or professional profile and aptitude for success in Graduate Studies.
- Submit the results of the “Prueba de Admisión a Estudios Graduados” (EXADEP) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Be interviewed by the Program Admission Committee that includes the creation of a written conceptual essay on an environmental subject.
- GPA of no less than 2.75 on the science bachelor level. Conditional admission will be considered for students who do not meet some of these requirements, but has professional experience in the environmental field. The Admissions Committee may recommend courses to cover pre-requisites.
Fundamentals of Environmental Sciences
Statistical Methods for Environmental Research
Hazardous Waste Management
Environmental Legislation and Regulatory Agencies
Environmental Risk Management
Environmental Microbiology & Laboratory
Environmental Chemistry & Laboratory
Comparative Environmental Risk Assessment
Occupational Risk Assess. & Management
Fundamentals of Earth Systems
Geographic Information System & Laboratory
Environmental Communications and Writing
Energy Sources and the Environment
Environmental Quality Control Management
Environmental Documents and Evaluations
Topics in Environmental Affairs I
Topics in Environmental Affairs II
Climate and Atmospheric Pollution
Environmental Auditing & Practice
Fundamentals of Hydrogeology
Professional Portfolio in Environmental Affairs (It requires pre-approval of Dean of the School of Environmental Affairs)
*Partial scholarships Available
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 1, 2018