Engineering for Building Retrofitting addresses the topic of the protection, rehabilitation, and enhancement of the existing buildings in terms of structural safety, energy efficiency, quality, and comfort, considering social and economic issues.
This two-year program, taught entirely in English, tackles the specific issue of the rehabilitation of existing buildings with a multi-sectoral integrated approach.
Learning by doing
Teaching methodologies envisage the participation in seminars and workshops (both in the classroom and in laboratories), the development of individual or collective projects, as well as assisted and individual study.
Learning outcomes will be mainly checked by means of tests, oral or written examinations and development of projects.
The Engineering for Building Retrofitting graduate is an engineer specialized in the assessment of structural, energy and technical performances of existing buildings and in the design of the interventions for their rehabilitation and conservation (in the case of buildings of cultural value).
What you will learn
Energy performances: To assess the energy performances of existing buildings.
Structural and seismic safety: To assess the structural and seismic safety of existing buildings.
Building quality and comfort: To assess the state of maintenance and the comfort of existing buildings.
Structural retrofitting interventions: To diagnose an existing building and to design safety and retrofitting interventions.
Increase energy efficiency: To define strategies and design interventions to increase the energy efficiency of existing buildings.
Enhance building quality and comfort: To design maintenance interventions and to improve the comfort in existing buildings.
The program trains engineers to be able to assess and rehabilitate existing buildings, rather than design new ones. It is focused on the following main learning areas:
- energy and plants
- quality and comfort
Furthermore, it includes some supplementary classes in the field of digital survey and representation, economic valuation, project financing, project and building site management.
- Degree type: Master of Science
- Duration and credits: 2 Years / 120 CFU
- Class: LM-24 Ingegneria dei Sistemi Edilizi
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields: Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Building Engineering, Architecture, Industrial Engineering. A minimum number of ECTS in the area of structural engineering and building physics is required. For further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sede: Genova
- Teaching language: English
- Teaching mode: Lectures and practical activities
- Taxes and fees: From 0 to 3000 euros per year. Find out if you are entitled to scholarships and exemptions
- International partnerships: Student exchange