Designed for the technical manager who needs a broad education to keep an organization operating efficiently and working ahead of its competitors, GW's engineering management program provides graduate education in the most current management techniques for technological and scientific organizations.
Master's Degree Program Requirements
The program of study consists of 12 graduate-level courses totaling 36 credit hours. Three types of course requirements are included in the curriculum -- common course requirements, focus course requirements and approved electives.
Common course requirements are taken by all students in the EMSE Master's program.
Focus course requirements are taken by all students within the area of focus. Approved elective requirements are courses that require the approval of the student's individual academic advisor. These courses are detailed below.
Note: Three-digit numbers in parentheses indicate old GW course numbers. All GW courses were renumbered with 4-digit numbers, effective Fall 2010.
Common Course Requirements
- EMSE 6001 (212) The Management of Technical Organizations
- EMSE 6410 (260) Survey of Finance and Engineering Economics
- EMSE 6020 (269) Decision Making with Uncertainty
- EMSE 6801 (283) Systems Engineering I
Areas of Focus
- Crisis, Emergency & Risk Management
- Economics, Finance, and Cost Engineering
- Engineering and Technology Management
- Environmental and Energy Management
- Knowledge and Information Management
All applicants - first-time or transfers - to a Master of Science (M.S.) or Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) program at the School of Engineering & Applied Science must meet the admissions requirements to be considered for any of the programs at SEAS.
Applicants must provide the following materials to be considered for any graduate program at SEAS:
- Complete online application form
- GRE exam scores
- International applicants: TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Application Fee
English Language Exam Requirements
- All visa-seeking international applicants are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores to SEAS to be considered for admission.
- Please provide only your most recent test scores. Scores may not be more than two years old.
Minimum Score Requirements
- 6.0 overall with no individual score below 5.0.
- Applicants to the graduate programs in Engineering Management, Systems Engineering or Data Analytics are required to have a minimum score of 7.0 with no individual score below 6.0.
- Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have an overall band score of 7.0 with no individual score below 6.0.
- 80 on the Internet exam (iBT) or 550 on the paper exam
- Applicants to the graduate programs in Engineering Management, Systems Engineering or Data Analytics are required to have a minimum score of 100 on the Internet exam.
- Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have a 600 on the paper-based exam or 100 on the Internet-based exam.
- 53. Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have a minimum score of 68.
Exceptions are granted to applicants who:
Hold a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from an institution in which English is the language of instruction AND the official language of the country in which the university is located
Hold a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree from an institution located in a country that qualifies for the English language exam exemption.