About Master of Science in Education and Human Development (MSEHD)
Based on and comparable to leading Master of Education programs in the United States, the program is designed to be completed in two-three years, with participants attending classes in the evening while maintaining their full-time employment. The program is designed for working professionals and educators, and offers seven concentrations: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), Instructional Technology, Curriculum, and Instruction with a Concentration in Literacy, Teacher Education, Educational Leadership, Human Resource Development, and Special Education. The program strives to be known as an exemplary and leading program in the preparation of educators and professionals who seek to explore the changing nature of teaching and learning while assessing and addressing the needs and challenges of a knowledge-based economy.
The need for the program
To determine the desirability of the proposed Master of Science Degree Program in Education and Human Development at Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University (PMU), the Graduate Education Committee at PMU conducted a marketing study of the needs and potential demands for graduates of its program.
The purpose of this investigation was to determine the local needs for the proposed program among the school teachers, educators and representatives of the educational sector in the Eastern Province of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The study aimed at collecting, analyzing and documenting responses to questions related to educators’ beliefs, needs and interests in a proposed Master of Science Degree Program in Education and Human Development at Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University (PMU). Also, the study addressed a genuine concern of the committee members regarding the degree to which PMU as an emerging university is prepared to respond to the demands of a proposed Master of Science Degree for educators.
For this purpose, a marketing research survey of a random sample of 10,000 school teachers and educators and a follow-up interview with 50 potential candidates who responded positively to the survey were conducted. Also, an in-depth interview was conducted with educators and local school principles to spotlight the concerns and problems that face the educational sector in the Eastern Province of the Kingdom.
Authentic voices from the study indicated that those who enter the teaching field are the ones with a bachelor's degree in the content area, but with no or limited background in education.
The educators and school principals that the Graduate Committee members interviewed evidently indicated that based on their observation during the last 20 years or so, a great number of teachers with a bachelor's degree in the content area receive insufficient training and demonstrate:
- Lack of methodology
- Lack of knowledge about educational psychology and technology integration.
- Unawareness of the paradigm shifts in teaching philosophies.
- Lack of knowledge of classroom management techniques.
- Unawareness of behavior management.
The findings of the study were enlightening. It was perceptible that there is a severe shortage of qualified school teachers who can integrate current theoretical and practical trends in education. Due to the unavailability of highly qualified teacher trainers, a great number of school teachers are teaching out-of-field, which in effect has a negative impact on the overall educational process in the Eastern Province of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
It was also apparent that there is a significant demand for technology-proficient educators. Considerably, there is a lack of professional development programs that provide educators with the techniques and skills of technology integration and the effective use of technology in the K– 12 classrooms and in teacher preparation programs.
Yet despite the critical need for teachers and educators with expertise in teaching, teacher education, and technology integration, there is no university in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia with a master degree program that encompasses a myriad of concentrations to address those needs.
Addressing the Local Needs
The Master of Science Degree Program in Education and Human Development at Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University (PMU), with its distinguished seven concentrations [Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), Instructional Technology, Curriculum and Instruction with a Concentration in Literacy, Teacher Education, Educational Leadership, Human Resource Development, and Special Education] addresses those needs. Considerably, both the survey and interview results indicate that there is a ready market for graduates of the Master of Science Degree Program in Education and Human Development at Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University (PMU).
Conclusively, this study provides insightful and viable evidence for PMU to thoughtfully realize the proved growing interest in the usefulness of the program. After all, though PMU is an emerging university, it has the required infrastructure, library resources, and the necessary faculty and personnel to meet the demands of the targeted market.
Primary characteristics of the program
- Both male and female students will be enrolled in the program.
- The instruction will be in the English language.
- The program will be housed physically and administratively within the College of Arts and Sciences.
- The classroom environment will encourage discussion among the participants and the sharing of their educational experiences.
The Master of Science Degree Program in Education and Human Development at Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University (PMU) with its seven concentrations will strive to be known as an exemplary and leading program in the preparation of educators who are seeking to explore the changing nature of teaching and learning while assessing and addressing the needs, challenges, and potentialities of the 21st century.
As a program that will be accredited locally, regionally, and internationally, the Master of Science Degree Program in Education and Human Development at Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University (PMU) will be unique to the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia as it offers seven concentrations, several of which Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University (PMU) would be the only university to offer in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The program aspires to play a leading role in developing a paradigm shift in the educational theory and practice in the Eastern Province of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. It will provide a unique and distinguished academic educational experience that will:
- Prepare future and current educators and administrators to meet the growing demands of the education community.
- Enhance learning and teaching through the integration of technology.
- Enrich and develop teaching and learning intellectual resources that assess and address the needs of students and community.
- Prepare future leaders in various fields of human knowledge and its application.
- Prepare educators in order to equip students with the required skills for the challenges and demands of the 21st century.
- Endorse partnership with national, regional and international fellow educational practitioners and organizations that strive to advance the educational capabilities of current and prospective educators.
- Enlighten educators with current issues and challenges that face the students of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Empower educators with the necessary skills and knowledge-base to foster an effective and needed reform in the K-12 educational system.
- Contribute to the advancement of human intelligence and promulgation and development of knowledge
- Prepare specialized candidates in various fields of human knowledge through utilizing modern technologies in the education process
- Encourage the graduate to play a pioneering and leading role in the community, by teaching him or her how to take responsibilities and contribute to solving of problems through innovative thinking, collective work, reflection, and self-development.
- Link academic programs and specializations with actual requirements of the surrounding work environment. This is undertaken by maintaining effective participation and cooperation between the University and local business firms.
- Guide research activities to create solutions for persistent problems in the surrounding communities, through applied research and technical consultation. The importance of performing basic scientific research for enriching human intelligence will be emphasized.
- Provide community service through training and education.
About the School
As a fast growing institution of higher learning, Prince Mohammad bin Fahd University (PMU) has created history since it was launched. This university, with its highly innovative student-centred appro ... Read More