The Master's Programme in Economics develops your ability to apply economic theory to a wide range of economic phenomena.
The programme qualifies you both to understand the connection between micro- and macroeconomic questions and to see the causality between such questions.
In addition, the programme equips you with appropriate econometric and mathematical analytical tools to address economic issues and problems. You will learn to analyse, organise and effectively communicate your analyses.
Programme overview: Applied Microeconomics and International Economics
In the Master's Programme in Economics, you will gain internationally comparable qualifications and knowledge which are valuable in demanding job markets. You will particularly be able to focus on two key areas:
- Applied Microeconomics, including Environmental and energy economics, Labour and personnel economics, Industrial organization, Game theory, and Applied microeconometrics, and
- International Economics, including Development economics
The programme has a long-term cooperative agreement with other leading-edge universities. This means that you will also be able to take economics courses at the following institutions in addition to the Department of Economics at the Aalto University School of Business:
- Department of Political and Economic Studies at the University of Helsinki
- Department of Economics of Hanken School of Economics
- Wider Institute, i.e. United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research
The Master’s Programme in Economics gives you a solid education in how to produce, analyse and use economic data to tackle the challenges faced by organizations and the broader society.
Upon graduating from the programme, you will be able to
Understand economic theory and use it in new situations
- read most scientific literature in the field
- understand modern microeconomics and macroeconomics at a general level, and selected subfields of economics at a deeper level
- make small modifications to existing theoretical models
- interpret real-world phenomena in the light of theories
Use arguments based on economic theory in practice
- formulate recommendations for decision making both in the public and private sector
- analyse the effects of policies
Apply quantitative skills for efficient use of data
- use and interpret economic data critically
- use statistical methods to examine relationships and to test economic hypotheses
Communicate fluently both to economic experts and non-experts, orally and in writing
Broad career prospects
As a graduate of Economics, you will have broad career prospects in areas that require strong economic expertise and analytical skills.
Examples of positions held by our graduates in firms, the financial sector, research institutes, public administration, and international organizations include:
The programme also gives you a good background for doctoral studies in economics.
General admission requirements
The application must first fulfil the general eligibility requirements before it is sent to the Master's programme for academic evaluation. Please read carefully the general admission requirements, information on admission groups, selection schedule, required application documents and application instructions on our website section admissions. See also language requirements.
Location: Aalto University School of Business, Töölö Campus, Helsinki
- For information on admissions and applying instructions please read carefully the Admissions section on our website.
- Information on the studies in the Master's Programme in Economics (in the academic year 2017-2018) is available in the online Study Guide.
- After reading all the instructions on our website, if you have general questions on admission and applying, you can contact email@example.com
- For questions concerning studies or academic evaluation of the programme, please contact Study Coordinator Laura Törmälä, Economicsfirstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the programme does not evaluate documents or previous studies of applicants in advance.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 4, 2018