The Need for Data Scientists
With the exponential growth of Big Data over the past few years, the need for Data Scientists becomes more and more pronounced and urgent. Saint Peter’s University now offers a cutting-edge academic program to meet such demands and train the next generation of data scientists. The Master of Science in Data Science with a concentration in Business Analytics. Data Science with a focus on Business Analytics is the discipline that integrates scientific methods from statistics, computer science and data-based business management to extract knowledge from data and drive decision making. The Master in Data Science curriculum provides students with a rigorous course of study in Big Data Technologies, applications and practices.
The courses range from theories and tools to applications. Students learn to use tools such as R, SAS, and Weka. Coursework includes statistics, data mining & visualization, machine learning, predictive modeling, decision analysis & optimization, and applications in business, marketing, and information systems using these tools. The capstone of the program is a research project in which students apply the acquired theoretical knowledge in data science to solve real-world business problems. Ethical and leadership considerations will also be explored.
The Data Science program was developed to aligns with “best of industry practice” in Big Data concepts utilized by the Oracle Corporation. The curriculum has tight integration with the most current Oracle Corporation approaches to the management of Big Data technology and business analytics. The Saint Peter’s program represents the current industry benchmarks for the practical application of data science. Oracle Corporation is considered to be the number one Big Data and database company in the world. The Master of Science in Data Science with a concentration in Business Analytics program is a 12 course/36 credit degree and is designed for full and part-time students interested in pursuing careers in industry-specific analytical fields.
Saint Peter’s University is fortunate to be located in the heart of Jersey City, which hosts financial giants such as Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan Chase in its financial district. The New York City financial district also happens to be minutes away thanks to a multitude of public transportation options which make it very easy to travel between Jersey City and New York City. This gives our students the ability to experience what both cities have to offer from a business perspective as well as a cultural one.
- DS510 Introduction to Data Science 3
- DS520 Data Analysis and Decision Modeling 3
- DS530 Database and Data Warehousing 3
- DS540 Statistical Programming 3
- DS600 Data Mining 3
- DS610 Big Data Analytics 3
- DS620 Data Visualization 3
- DS630 Machine Learning 3
- DS640 Predictive Analytics and Experimental Design 3
- DS650 Data Law, Ethics and Privacy 3
- DS660 Business Analytics 3
- DS670 Capstone: Business Analytics 3
Total program credits 36
- Develop in depth understanding of the key technologies in data science and business analytics: data mining, machine learning, visualization techniques, predictive modeling, and statistics.
- Practice problem analysis and decision-making.
- Gain practical, hands-on experience with statistics programming languages and big data tools through coursework and applied research experiences.
Students who have completed the MS in Data Science and Business Analytics Program will be able to:
- Apply quantitative modeling and data analysis techniques to the solution of real world business problems, communicate findings, and effectively present results using data visualization techniques.
- Recognize and analyze ethical issues in business related to intellectual property, data security, integrity, and privacy.
- Apply ethical practices in everyday business activities and make well-reasoned ethical business and data management decisions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of statistical data analysis techniques utilized in business decision making.
- Apply principles of Data Science to the analysis of business problems.
- Use data mining software to solve real-world problems.
- Employ cutting edge tools and technologies to analyze Big Data.
- Apply algorithms to build machine intelligence.
- Demonstrate use of team work, leadership skills, decision making and organization theory.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 8, 2018