Administered jointly through the Department of Computer Science and the Department of Engineering Management & Systems Engineering, the Master of Science in Data Analytics aims to address the growing demand for professionals skilled in big data and data analytics in government, industry and research organizations.
Through courses led by top faculty members at the School of Engineering & Applied Science and the School of Business, this program is conducted in small cohorts and covers topics in computer science, business analytics and systems engineering while focusing on the foundations of analytics from a technical engineering perspective.
Students choose from two tracks: Computer Science or Engineering Management & Systems Engineering.
Students in the program should expect to:
- Apply data science and analytics techniques in the decision-making process of a wide range of organizations.
- Demonstrate the ability to store, clean and transform data.
- Demonstrate improvements in the decision-making process by using and applying analytics techniques to interpret results.
- Design and implement computing infrastructure and algorithmic techniques for big data analytics.
- Explore the engineering foundations that propel the fields of data science and analytics.
- Gain hands-on experience with analytical tools for big data.
- Pursue or enhance careers as data analysts or data scientists.
- Credit hours: 33
- Duration: Two years (full-time), three years (part-time)
- FALL START TERM ONLY - no Spring start term available
NOTE: The GRE exam is optional for this program. Candidates whose B.S. was completed over 5 years ago and/or do not have direct work experience in this field are encouraged to submit GRE scores to supplement their application.
All applicants - first-time or transfers - to a Master of Science (M.S.) or Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) program at the School of Engineering & Applied Science must meet the admissions requirements to be considered for any of the programs at SEAS.
Applicants must provide the following materials to be considered for any graduate program at SEAS:
- Complete online application form
- GRE exam scores
- International applicants: TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Application Fee
English Language Exam Requirements
- All visa-seeking international applicants are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores to SEAS to be considered for admission.
- Please provide only your most recent test scores. Scores may not be more than two years old.
Minimum Score Requirements
- 6.0 overall with no individual score below 5.0.
- Applicants to the graduate programs in Engineering Management, Systems Engineering or Data Analytics are required to have a minimum score of 7.0 with no individual score below 6.0.
- Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have an overall band score of 7.0 with no individual score below 6.0.
- 80 on the Internet exam (iBT) or 550 on the paper exam
- Applicants to the graduate programs in Engineering Management, Systems Engineering or Data Analytics are required to have a minimum score of 100 on the Internet exam.
- Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have a 600 on the paper-based exam or 100 on the Internet-based exam.
- 53. Applicants who would like to be considered for funding opportunities must have a minimum score of 68.
Exceptions are granted to applicants who:
Hold a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from an institution in which English is the language of instruction AND the official language of the country in which the university is located
Hold a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree from an institution located in a country that qualifies for the English language exam exemption.