Degrees Available at SIUE
• Master of Science in Computer Science
• PhD in Engineering Science, a cooperative program with SIU Carbondale siue.edu/engineering/phd
Computer Science at SIUE
The computer science program embodies both applied and theoretical components, but focuses solidly on applied areas of computer science such as software engineering, computer system architectures, data communications, computer networks, bioinformatics and artificial intelligence. The program is designed to meet the needs of both full-time and part-time students. In order to accommodate those students that work full time, all core courses and the majority of elective courses are offered in the evening. In addition, some electives are also offered on line.
In addition to the master’s degree, the CS program offers specialized course sequences for those who are not pursing an advanced degree, but wish to update their knowledge of computing in specific areas.
Students who complete the degree program will be prepared for positions such as software developer, consultant, systems programmer, project leader, application software specialist or for advanced graduate work.
The requirements for admission to the graduate major in computer science are:
1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. An undergraduate major in science, engineering, mathematics, or computing is desirable, but individuals with other backgrounds who are interested in the program are invited to discuss their career objectives with the program director.
2. An undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 (A=4.0) or above.
3. GRE general test scores taken within 5 years from the term for which admission is sought. An applicant should have a minimum of 650/800 in the Quantitative section. Under some circumstances this requirement may be waived in lieu of extensive work experience in the computer science field. To apply for a GRE waiver, an applicant should submit letters of recommendation and evidence of work experience in the field. Completion of prerequisite and required courses with grades of B or better within two years prior to the term for which admission is sought may also be considered in place of the GRE scores as supporting eligibility to enter the program.
4. An international applicant whose native language is not English is required to demonstrate adequate proficiency in English. Applicant should have scored at least 550 on the TOEFL paper exam with a minimum of 50th percentile in all three sections or at least 217 on the TOEFL computer exam TOEFL scores older than two years from the term for which the admission is sought are not valid.
5. Submission of a statement detailing the applicant’s background and career plans to the CS Graduate Program Director, Campus Box 1656, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE), Edwardsville, IL 62026-1656.
Application Deadline for Domestic Students
• Fall Semester - July 15
• Spring Semester - November 15
• Summer Semester - April 12
Visit siue.edu/graduatestudents/apply for more information.
Application Deadline for International Students
• Fall Semester - June 1
• Spring Semester - October 1
• Summer Semester - March 1
Visit siue.edu/internationalstudents for more information.
This school offers programs in: