Are you interested in working with renowned faculty to develop transgenic plants with the promise for use in vaccinations against malaria, hepatitis C and other diseases? We invite you to learn more about Biotechnology at Claflin.
The program requires two years of coursework and research, culminating with a production of a master’s thesis. According to their interests, backgrounds and career goals, students can choose from three parallel tracks. Students must complete 16 credit hours in core courses, 8 credit hours in track-specific courses, nine credit hours in faculty mentored research, and four credit hours in seminar for a total of 37 credit hours.
- Genetic Engineering I & II
- Genetic Engineering Lab I & II
- Immunology & Pathobiology
- Introduction to Biostatitis
- Teaching & Leadership
- Research Ethics
- Research I & II
- Seminars I—IV
- Thesis Preparation
- Special Topics
Student Opportunities and Experience
We have state-of-art Forensic DNA Laboratories with certifications from the Federal Government when you complete the courses and the Forensic Units while studying at Claflin University. As a graduate student you may specialize in Forensics, Molecular or Agricultural Biotechnology or Bioinformatics. All are highly desired and competitive areas of research and development with boundless employment prospects in crime laboratories, with industry and in academics.
Our faculty is able to support a broad range of specialist research projects and provide superior one-on-one mentoring. All students will gain hands-on skills and theoretical knowledge in topics ranging from the latest developments in recombinant DNA technology to non-technical issues that must be appreciated in order to bring biotechnology products to market, including bioethics, government regulatory policies, drug-approval policies and patent law.
Careers and Outcomes
Our commitment to excellence is gaining recognition around the nation, and Claflin’s School of Natural Science and Mathematics is gaining a solid and deserved reputation for producing quality students.
In the past three years our students have:
- Matriculated to graduate programs at the University of Massachusetts, John Hopkins University, Purdue, MIT, Yale, Princeton, and Ohio State University to name a few
- Won 4 of 6 fist place awards for summer research at the state SCAMP research conference
- Been awarded more than 100 national summer internships at various institutions around the country including: Harvard, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Brown, NIH, Fisk, and Baylor
Our reputation, recent faculty enhancements, and Noble Laureate visits have led to many collaborative efforts among various institutions locally and beyond.
- Complete on-line application
- Submit application fee
- Submit 2 copies of official transcripts
- Submit 2 letters of recommendation
- Submit an official copy of GRE scores
- If international applicant, please submit official TOEFL scores
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 7, 2017