The MS in biology is a 30-credit degree program that is designed to assist students in attaining a balanced knowledge of advanced biology with an emphasis on critical thinking and independent study and research. Lecture, discussion, laboratory exercises, assigned readings, and reports present the status and importance of current research from current literature. The program offers students several areas of emphasis in general biology, physiology, ecology, or biotechnology.
The program provides a solid background for further graduate study toward a doctorate in biology or related fields, provides teachers with additional experience in the theory and practice of biology, and trains biologists to pursue applied fields such as electron microscopy, tissue culture, ecology, pollution control, and biotechnology. The program offers both thesis and non-thesis options.
The M.S. in biology is a 30-credit degree program that offers advanced courses and seminars in many areas of Biology including molecular biology, ecology, organismic biology, and biotechnology. The program offers a solid background for further graduate study toward a doctorate in biology or related fields, provides teachers with additional experience in the theory and practice of biology, and trains biologists to pursue applied fields such as electron microscopy, tissue culture, ecology, and biotechnology.Students who opt for the thesis option must conduct original research under the mentorship of a full-time faculty member. Prospective thesis students are encouraged to contact a faculty member in their area of expertise prior to submitting their application. University policy states that all students must pass an exit examination.
For students pursuing the thesis option, their thesis and its oral defense before a faculty panel will constitute the exit exam. Students pursuing a non-thesis option are required to complete a course in Independent Study or Independent Reading, write a paper and present their findings before the faculty, constituting their exit requirement.
Financial aid is available in the form of Graduate Assistantships and departmental scholarships to a limited number of graduate students.
In addition to the University’s admission requirements:
- Baccalaureate degree, preferably in biology or a related major. Applicant should have had at least one course each in general biology and genetics.
- At least one year each of chemistry, physics, and mathematics (including a semester of calculus). Students who do not fulfill tee.
- Cumulative grade point average of no less than 3.00 on 4.00 scale.
- Satisfactory score on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test.
- Graduate Record Examination is waived for students who graduated from William Paterson University with a biology degree with at least a 3.00 cumulative GPA.
- Two letters of recommendation that attest to applicant’s academic qualifications.
- Students applying from countries where English is not the language of instruction should have a satisfactory score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and provide a recognized translation of their degrees and transcripts.
- 30 credits of graduate study
- Cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 7, 2018