This program further prepares students for careers in public, industrial, and not-for-profit accounting through advanced study in financial and managerial accounting, auditing, taxation, and accounting systems. It also is a foundation for entrance into doctoral programs and other professional studies.
- Studies in Accounting Theory
- Studies in Managerial Accounting
- Seminar in Business Policies
Statement of Goals
As an academic unit of the University of New Orleans, an urban comprehensive teaching and research university created to serve the population of the Greater New Orleans metropolitan region while attracting students and faculty from across the nation and the world at large, the Department of Accounting has the following goals:
- To provide university-level undergraduate and graduate accounting education to persons who wish to pursue, or who are already employed in, positions in accounting, business, or related career endeavors;
- To prepare its students to meet the educational requirements for and to complete successfully the various accounting-related professional certifications;
- To provide a level of instruction that will prepare its students to succeed in their career pursuits;
- To pursue activities that lead to improvement in the delivery of accounting instruction;
- To engage in intellectual pursuits that improve and expand the existing body of knowledge in the field of accounting and related fields;
- To provide additional services that will benefit its students, its graduates, the university at large, the accounting community, and the citizens of the Greater New Orleans area;
- To provide broad access to its offerings by accommodating both traditional and non-traditional students, full-time and part-time enrollees, persons majoring in accounting and persons seeking non-accounting degrees, persons matriculating on campus and persons wishing to take courses at satellite locations, persons taking courses primarily during the day and persons desiring to take courses in the evening, persons seeking academic degrees and persons undertaking studies to fulfill continuing professional education requirements or other life-long learning objectives.
Accreditation of the Accounting Programs
In 1990, the accounting programs at the University of New Orleans became the first in the New Orleans area and the Louisiana State University (LSU) System to receive separate accounting accreditation from AACSB International at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. In 2001, this separate accounting accreditation was reaffirmed. Only 90 programs in the United States have this distinction. Such special accreditation results from meeting a rigorous set of standards involving curriculum, faculty adequacy, research output, teaching, and student performance and places the Department in an exceptionally favorable position nationally.
CPA Exam Results
UNO consistently ranks as one of the top universities in Louisiana in both the number of graduates taking the CPA exam and in the percentage pass rate. UNO continues to exceed the national average for individuals passing the exam on their first attempt. On the May 1993 exam, the first-time pass rate for UNO candidates was fourth-highest in the nation.
About the School
The University of New Orleans is an urban university located near the banks of Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana. The College begins a new era this year under the leadership of Dean John C. Gardner. Wit ... Read More