The master of science in accounting is designed to satisfy New York state requirements for students with an undergraduate degree in accounting to sit for the CPA exam and attain CPA licensure. Students may complete the program on a full- or part-time basis, with the full-time program beginning exclusively in the fall semester.
The program consists of 10 courses and a comprehensive exam based on the finance courses completed by the student. The exam is administered at the end of the student’s last term. Students must pass the exam to earn their degree.
ACCOUNTING, MS DEGREE, TYPICAL COURSE SEQUENCE
- Accounting Profession
- Accounting Information Systems
- Advanced Accounting
- Auditing and Professional Responsibility
- Advanced Taxation
- Information Systems Auditing and Assurance Services
- Comparative Financial Statement Analysis
- Financial Accounting Theory and Research
- Field Exam
To be considered for admission to the MS program in accounting, candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution,
- Submit official transcripts (in English) from all previously completed undergraduate and graduate coursework,
- Submit the results of the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE) (GMAT preferred),
- Submit a personal statement,
- Submit a current resume, and
- Complete a graduate application.
International applicants whose native language is not English must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language. Minimum scores of 580 (paper-based) or 92 (Internet-based) are required. Scores from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) will be accepted in place of the TOEFL exam. The minimum acceptable score is 7.0. The TOEFL or IELTS requirement is waived for native speakers of English or for those submitting transcripts from degrees earned at American institutions. For additional information on the IELTS, visit www.ielts.org.
Completed applications for admission should be on file in the Office of Graduate Enrollment Services at least four weeks prior to registration for the next academic semester for students from the United States, and up to 10 weeks prior for international students applying for student visas.
Accepted students can defer enrollment for up to one year. After one year, a new application must be submitted and will be re-evaluated based on the most current admission standards.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 25, 2018