The Master of Science in Accounting Program focuses on providing advanced accounting preparation for careers in accounting and financial management in the public and private sector. Students learn to effectively evaluate ethical situations that an accountant or financial manager might face in a business setting by incorporating the laws and standards relating to financial reporting and the importance of personal integrity. Graduates also demonstrate an ability to think critically and to solve accounting problems.
Why a Graduate Degree in Accounting from Prairie View A&M University?
- Program is designed for professionals and working adults
- Classes are scheduled in the evenings or Saturdays in Houston at the PVAMU Northwest Houston Center
- Classes are small, allowing faculty to provide detailed feedback and assistance
- Courses are taught by experienced CPAs and professors who have terminal degrees in their fields of study
- All programs are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International), the gold standard of business school accreditation
Accounting 4+1 Program
The Accounting 4+1 program seeks to prepare accounting majors for CPA certification. This rigorous, accelerated program allows eligible students to complete two degrees: a Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting (BBA) and a Master of Science in Accounting (MSA) – typically in five years.
Workshop Option Students in the MSA program can participate in optional CPA examination workshops taught by PVAMU faculty. By participating in the workshops, students gain increased familiarity with the format and content of the uniform CPA examination, more information about how they should prepare for the exam and additional skills and knowledge required to pass the CPA exam.
Courses and Degree Plan
The PVAMU MSA is a 30-credit hour program comprised of seven core courses (21 credit hours) and three elective courses (nine credit hours). Students must successfully complete all 30 semester hours including both core courses and elective courses to satisfy the degree requirements.
A student with a non-accounting undergraduate degree must complete the prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or higher before he or she can be formally admitted to the MSA program. Specific program requirements will be determined during the admission process which includes a complete review of undergraduate transcripts and work experience.
|ACCT 2113 Financial Accounting||3|
|ACCT 2123 Managerial Accounting||3|
|ACCT 3213 Intermediate Accounting I||3|
|ACCT 3223 Intermediate Accounting II||3|
|ACCT 3333 Federal Income Tax I||3|
|ACCT 4223 Auditing||3|
|ACCT 5113 Advanced Auditing||3|
|ACCT 5123 Accounting Information
Systems & Controls
|ACCT 5133 Accounting for Managerial
|ACCT 5143 Accounting Theory||3|
|ACCT 5153 Seminar on Tax Consulting,
Planning & Research
|ACCT 5163 Law & Ethics for Accountants||3|
|BCOM 5203 Managerial Communication||3|
Cost & Fees
Tuition and fees for Texas residents are approximately $1,100 per course. For non-Texas residents, tuition and fees are approximately $2,000 per course. Many companies have excellent tuition reimbursement programs for employees.
- Complete Apply Texas application online www.applytexas.org
- Complete Graduate Programs Application Information form available online at www.pvamu.edu
- Pay the $50 non-refundable application processing fee. Must be received on or before the published deadlines. A $65 non-refundable application processing fee will be required to process all applications received after the published deadlines.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Applicants must submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. A minimum undergraduate cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.75 on a 4.00 grading scale is required for regular graduate degree admission.
- Submit three letters of recommendation using the Recommendation of Applicant form.
- Transmit official GMAT or GRE scores. GMAT or GRE scores must be reported directly to the PVAMU College of Business. Access GMAT information online at www.mba.com or call 1-800-717-GMAT (4628). Access GRE information online at www.ets.org/gre or call 1-866-473-4373.
- Write an essay explaining “Why I Want a Graduate Degree in Business” (1,000 words maximum).
- International students (students who are not citizens of the United States) may also be required to submit TOEFL scores as well as detailed, course-by-course evaluation of international transcripts
Acceptable international evaluation services include:
- Span Tran Educational Services www.spantran-edu.com
- Educational Credential Evaluators www.ece.org
- World Education Services www.wes.org
About the School
Founded in 1876, Prairie View A&M University is the second oldest public institution of higher learning in the state of Texas. With an established reputation for producing engineers, nurses and ed ... Read More