The Master’s Programme in Accounting gives you in-depth expertise in the production and use of financial information.
Accounting is at the heart of businesses, and a critical part of financially sound, workable solutions to often complex and ambiguous managerial challenges. The Master’s Programme in Accounting gives you the opportunity to learn invaluable tools for succeeding in the often turbulent contemporary organisations.
Programme overview: Management and Financial accounting
In the Master’s Programme in Accounting, you can specialise in management accounting or financial accounting:
Management accounting helps you learn how to prepare and use the financial and non-financial information to serve the needs of managerial control and decision-making. The core topics in this area of specialisation include
- accounting for management control
- strategic management accounting
- capital investment decisions, and
- management accounting information systems
Financial accounting helps you learn how to prepare and use financial statement information to serve the needs of outside stakeholders, especially the decision making of debt and equity holders. The core topics in this area of specialisation include
- theories of financial statements
- international and national accounting standards
- issues in group accounting and consolidated financial statements, and
- auditing theory and practice
In both specialisation areas, you also gain knowledge and expertise in issues such as
- financial statement analysis
- company law
- financial institutions
- corporate governance, and
- different research methodologies
The Master’s Programme in Accounting gives you a leading-edge education in how to produce and use financial information for the benefit of organisations, stakeholders, and the broader society.
Upon graduating from the programme, you will be able to
- generate, analyse, interpret and communicate financial information for both managerial purposes and the needs of outside stakeholders
- contribute effectively to the development of management information systems
- impact and contribute to the strategic and operative decision making of the management
In addition, studying in the programme will provide you with strong general management skills to help you succeed in your career. Besides strong analytical ability, these general skills include advanced-level teamwork, problem-solving and business communication skills. You will also learn how to conduct business ethically and responsibly.
Broad career prospects
As a graduate of Accounting, you will have prepare career prospects. Below are some typical jobs in which you can work with the high-level professional expertise in accounting that the programme gives you. The programme also provides prerequisite knowledge to pursue post-graduate doctoral studies.
Management accounting prepares you for general management positions, often in multinational companies, as you are equipped with the tools for solving strategic and operational problems – ranging from marketing and customer service to logistics, production and outsourcing.
Financial accounting and auditing emphasis prepare you for a path that often leads to top-level auditing assignments and other jobs in the largest international auditing firms, consulting agencies and financial services companies. You might, for example, work as an advisor in industrial restructuring situations, or as an analyst of the financial position of potential investment targets in an equity portfolio in the financial industry.
1. General admission requirements
The application must first fulfil the general eligibility requirements before it Ms to the Master's programme for academic evaluation. Read carefully the general admission requirements, information on admission groups, selection schedule, required application documents and application instructions on our website section admissions. See also language requirements.
In addition to the general eligibility requirements, each Master's programme has programme-specific evaluation criteria.
2. Programme-specific requirements
The admission group depends on the degree you are applying with. Only applicants with a lower university degree in “Economics and Business Administration” completed in a university in Finland apply in Admission Group 1. The name of the degree is kauppatieteiden kandidaatti, KTK in Finnish. All other applicants apply in Admission Group 2. More information on admission groups is on the admissions page.
Location: Aalto University School of Business, Töölö Campus, Helsinki
- For information on admissions and applying instructions please read carefully the Admissions section on our website.
- Information on the studies in the Master's Programme in Accounting (in the academic year 2017-2018) is available in the online Study Guide.
- After reading all the instructions on our website, if you have general questions on admission and applying, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions concerning the content or academic evaluation of the programme, please contact Study Coordinator Ms Anna Kuparinen, email@example.com. Please note that the programme does not evaluate documents or previous studies of applicants in advance.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 4, 2018