SHU MSFIM Math/Finance Camp | August 22 - September 2, 2016
All incoming MSFIM students are recommended to attend our 2 week Math/Finance Camp in August before classes start for Fall 16. We offer WGB 603 as a pre-requisite during the regular Fall semester which covers similar material. The Math/Finance Camp is typically two weeks long (four days/week) and is held between August 22 and September 2, just before the start of the Fall semester.
Sacred Heart University’s (SHU) Master of Science in Finance and Investment Management (MSFIM) prepares students for rewarding careers in investment analysis, wealth management, and portfolio management.
Finance is evolving and an ever-greater emphasis is being placed on quantitative analysis. From asset valuation and product development to risk management, today’s finance professionals require advanced technical training. These enhanced quantitative requirements, in conjunction with changing financial laws and regulations, have increased the demand for candidates with cutting-edge knowledge of investment theory, mathematics, statistics and data-intensive analysis, as well as strong written and verbal communication skills. The AACSB-accredited Jack Welch College of Business offers the MSFIM to meet this rising demand.
- Acquire an advanced understanding of investment management theory
- Master valuation, portfolio management, and risk management techniques
- Learn how to develop client solutions to investment and risk management issues through case studies, internships, problem-based learning experiences and extensive interaction with practitioners
- Be prepared to sit for the rigorous Chartered Financial Analyst® examination and to obtain the Financial Risk Management certification.
PREPARE FOR YOUR FUTURE
This rigorous program combines an in-depth study of quantitative techniques, finance theory and practice. Offering a high level of flexibility and a wide range of foundational and elective courses, the program allows students to tailor the MSFIM experience to their specific career goals. The MSFIM program emphasizes advanced quantitative techniques that extend far beyond those taught in a traditional MBA program — preparing students to pursue a CFA designation if they so desire.
The MSFIM operates on a trimester schedule, and full-time candidates will complete the program in 1.5 years.
In addition to the guidance you will receive from our WCOB faculty and alumni, you’ll benefit from the SHU’s Office of Career Development, our Welch network of industry leaders and our association with the local CFA Society.
Classes will be held in Fairfield, Connecticut. Our location, 60 minutes outside of New York City’s financial district, will successfully position students around business leaders, numerous investment banks, and leading multinational corporations.
MSFIM graduates will be prepared to thrive in today’s global marketplace with careers as:
- asset, private or wealth equity manager
- chief investment officer
- commercial lending officer
- corporate finance officer
- equity strategist
- financial analyst
- financial risk manager
- hedge fund analyst
- investment banker
- investment operations analyst
- mutual fund manager
- portfolio manager
The graduate MSFIM program is a 33-credit, full-time program integrating financial theory, investment analysis and tools of quantitative analysis. Students are expected to take nine credits per semester for three trimesters and six credits in the final trimester.
Each student within the program will be issued an iPad or equivalent device preloaded with key course content and software.
BUILD YOUR RÉSUMÉ IN SHU'S TRADING LAB
MSFIM students have access to SHU’s state-of-the-art financial trading lab, which provides hands-on experience in a trading environment that has the same hardware, software, and applications used by today’s financial managers.
LEARN FROM EXPERT FACULTY
At SHU, you will learn from a faculty of distinguished scholars, award-winning teachers, and industry veterans. From senior faculty members with superior achievements to promising junior professionals and aggressive industry practitioners, all are dedicated to the success of MSFIM students.
GAIN VALUABLE INTERNSHIP AND RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
All MSFIM students are required to complete an internship or research lab experience. Students have access to internship opportunities in some of the world’s leading investment and financial companies and, in some cases, students will participate in cutting-edge research projects in our financial trading lab.
The following must be submitted and will be considered when applying:
- A complete application for graduate study: http://apply.sacredheart.edu
- Nonrefundable application fee
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited four-year college or university
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Personal statement addressing career goals and interest in the program
- Current résumé
- GMAT/GRE scores
- TOEFL or IELTS score. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) results are required from all applicants who completed their previous degrees in a country where English is not the official and spoken language. The TOEFL requirement is 80 and the IELTS requirement is 6.5.
- A copy of your passport, a sponsor letter, and a bank letter will be required.
Student loans, deferred payment plans and a variety of other programs are available through the Office of Student Financial Assistance at 203-371-7980.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 25, 2018