Bachelor of Engineering with knowledge of materials, mechanics, and modeling, but also others may be suited to the master's program in engineering design. Special interest in understanding mathematical and physical theories and descriptions of for instance different construction behaviors, design processes, materials behavior may be a benefit for maximizing the learning outcome in the education.
Engineering Design is design based on engineering science and includes knowledge about product design and computational technology. The main ingredients in Engineering Design Technical scientific computations/calculations and applied mathematics which is applied to problems related to design, geometry and materials science. Engineering Design course provides students with an understanding of design and aesthetic design in addition to a deep understanding of mathematical and physical principles and methods in the design process. We place special emphasis on the geometry and shape, product and design processes, strength calculations and analysis, materials, computer-based modeling and simulations.
The main feature of a product is that it can withstand the stresses it is intended to be exposed to. For example, design and materials adapted to extreme heat or cold, heavy loads over long or short time, and electric or thermal radiation. Sometimes the friction should be as large as possible, while other times it should be as small as possible. Flexible hinges (eg, plastic tops) should withstand being opened and closed many times without going failing. In addition, we may have different requirements and wishes for instance that the product should be as light as possible, as stiff as possible, as cheap as possible or as soundproof as possible, which means that the design and materials must be optimized accordingly. This process requires careful analysis and calculations, specific processes and techniques that you learn during the study period. Good and appropriate solutions to advanced engineering scientific problems can be solved by using the knowledge in the mathematical and physical theories that you work within the course of the study. During the course there are also projects where students design, calculate, model, simulate, redesign and create prototypes.
With a master degree in science, in Engineering Design, you will have a broad theoretical platform. This will make you an indispensable resource for any company that is eager to be at the forefront of the technological development.
You learn about the systematic ways to make the right choice of materials and design of various products and structures. Composite materials, modern and advanced materials and structures are important elements of the program. In addition, you learn applied mathematics and theories that are used, among others, to model, visualize, simulate and perform calculations on the products and structural elements. In addition to performing the design, modeling and visualization projects on computers, we also use modeling workshop and the layered production technique (SLA) or the 3D printer to create a variety of physical prototypes of the products in projects.
- has advanced knowledge within the academic field of mathematics, physics and engineering and specialized insight in a limited area within the field of engineering design (K1)
- has a thorough knowledge of different theories and methods in the field of engineering design (K2)
- can apply knowledge to new areas within the academic field of numerical and analytical calculations, computations, materials, systematic design process, computational methods, engineering design (K3)
- can analyze academic problems on the basis of the history, traditions, distinctive character and place in a society of the academic field in engineering (K4)
- can analyze and deal critically with various sources of information and use them to structure and formulate scholarly arguments (S1)
- can analyze existing theories, and interpretations in the field of engineering design and work independently on practical and theoretical problems (S2)
- can use relevant methods in engineering design for research and scholarly in an independent manner (S3)
- can carry out an independent, limited research or development project under the supervision and in accordance with applicable norms for research ethics (S4)
- can analyze relevant academic, professional and research ethical problems (GC1)
- can apply the knowledge and skills within engineering design in new areas in order to carry out advanced assignments and projects (GC2)
- can communicate extensive independent work and masters language and terminology of the academic field of engineering design (GC3)
- can communicate about academic issues, analyses and conclusions in the field of engineering design, both with specialists and the general public (GC4)
- can contribute to new thinking and innovation processes (GC5)
Bachelor degree in Engineering design with a minimum of 30 credits in mathematics/statistics.
Teaching and assessment
Teaching and Learning Methods
The program involves lectured courses, as well as a high degree of problem-based education (i.e. learning-by-doing), where the students spend their time working on relevant projects under the supervision of a highly qualified staff. The projects are concerned with relevant topics within the field of engineering design.
Form of assessment
Through the two-year master program in Engineering Design, the students are evaluated in both theoretical knowledge and engineering skills. This evaluation is based on written or oral exams, in addition to written reports and presentation of project results. The program aims at being international and research-based, and the students will, therefore, acquire state-of-the-art technological competence.
It is possible to study parts of the master program at other universities. An individual plan must, in this case, be made in accordance with the program coordinator.
You can work for anyone who is dependent upon the continual development of their products, such as, for example, manufacturers, constructors or consultancy firms within car production, space technology, the oil branch, boat and mobile lightweight constructions, house and building detailing, technical equipment or consumer goods. In addition, you can work in teaching, research and development, or you can be a candidate for management positions within the public and private sectors. Based upon former experience, design engineers are extremely sought after and easily find themselves interesting jobs.
Access to further studies
After completing the master study in Engineering design the candidate has an MsS degree which qualifies to start as a PhD-student within relevant ph.d.-areas (i.e. mechanical engineering, applied mathematics, computational methods). UIT Campus Narvik has a PhD. education within the field of Applied Mathematics and computational engineering, which students from Engineering Design are qualified to get a position at, if the grading is good enough (for instance for acceptance as a doctoral student), and if there are available positions.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 10, 2018