Energy technologies. Inspirational partners. Your own sustainable network.
A fast-changing industry that must address global challenges, the energy sector of the future will be built on a diverse range of skill-sets, technical knowledge and innovative ideas. The Master’s in Energy Technologies (MSc ENTECH) enables you to explore a broad range of energy technologies, engineering disciplines, and business models – and to understand how they all come together to create a more sustainable energy sector.
With a strong focus on innovative problem solving, building effective international teams, and finding inspiration from fellow students, industrial partners, SMEs and start-ups, this programme is a learning journey that helps you find your unique role in the energy industry.
MSC ENTECH offers you a new way to think about your career in energy engineering. It focuses on inter-disciplinary practice, integrating creative, entrepreneurial and leadership skills, with the creation of new ideas, innovative products, services, processes and solutions. The programme gives you exceptional opportunities to engage with real-world challenges and the industry players attempting to solve them. Companies like Siemens, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Vattenfall, Schneider Electric and others are all involved in the programme to some extent.
MSc ENTECH is an international programme for an international industry. You will join students from all over the world at two different universities and one of Europe’s leading business schools. After successfully completing the programme and your thesis, you will receive a double diploma in the form of a Master’s degree from two of the following institutes:
- Master of Science in Fluid Mechanics and Energetics, from INP: Grenoble Institute of Technology, France
- Master of Energy Engineering and Management, from IST: Instituto Superior Técnico, Portugal
- Master of Science, from KIT: Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
- Master of Science in Energy Technology, from UU: Uppsala University, Sweden
The MSc ENTECH programme is labelled by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT).
With a choice of more than 200 individual courses that cover a comprehensive range of energy technologies, the two-year MSc ENTECH programme has a broad scope – with a special emphasis on innovation and entrepreneurship practice. The aim of the programme is to give you the inter-disciplinary knowledge, skills and networks needed to navigate the complexity of future energy systems.
In addition to deepening and broadening your engineering and technical knowledge, you will also study the economic, legal and ecological aspects of various energy technologies and their implementation. You will also learn the basics of innovation management and product development – with a focus on industrial issues of practical relevance, particularly during project work and during your Master’s thesis.
In the first year, you can choose to attend either the KIT: Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in Germany or IST: Instituto Superior Técnico in Portugal, where you will undertake basic courses to ensure that you have the necessary energy engineering knowledge across a broad range of topic areas. Classes have a modular structure, and you will be asked to agree to an individual Learning Agreement.
In addition, you will take courses on design thinking, business for founders, marketing and economics. Moreover, GEM is involved in ENTECH and during the Open Space Studio Winter Atelier, you will have the chance to learn pitching, shareholder management, and other fundamentals of business creation.
In the second year, you can pursue the subject areas that interest you most, by choosing two specialist topics for study from the following list:
- Thermal power plants
- Energy in buildings
- Chemical energy carriers
- Decentralised power supply and grid integration
- Nuclear and fusion technology
- Renewable energy and energy storage
- Energy economics and informatics
- Utility facilities
Your choice of specialisation will determine which university you attend in your second year.
If you chose IST for your first or second year, you will attend an intensive ‘Entrepreneur in a week’ course at the Católica Lisbon School of Business and Economics in the week before classes start at IST. Here you take courses relating to business and economics, including project management and business planning, to enhance your understanding of modern business practice in the energy sector.
Open Space Studio
A defining feature of MSc ENTECH, you will attend complementary training sessions at the Open Space Studio throughout the two-year programme.
The Open Space Studio has three main focus areas:
- Personal development: knowing yourself, your strengths, your talent, your passion, and your drivers in life
- Social skills development: community and team building, and creating a sense of trust and belonging
- Co-creation: bringing together entrepreneurship, innovation and education to create new solutions for real-world business challenges
Students attend a ‘Winter Atelier’ at the Open Space Studio in both their first and second years; a ‘Summer Atelier’ between the first and second years; and a two-day personal-skills training course in each year of study. The Open Space Studio is also hosting to a final conference at the end of your second year.
Your path to the future
The MSc ENTECH programme gives you the ability to meet the complex challenges in the design, development, operation and analysis of future energy technologies.
Students who successfully complete the MSc ENTECH programme acquire a wide range of basic engineering skills in the field of energy technologies, as well as in-depth knowledge in two fields of energy engineering, the ability to work in interdisciplinary teams, and skills in project management and innovation.
In particular, students develop the ability to recognise problems and challenges that require an inter-disciplinary response and to approach them with innovative solutions. MSc ENTECH graduates are quick to recognise new market trends and have the knowledge and skills needed to earn and maintain a leadership position through innovative ideas and projects of their own.
As a result, students are able to:
- Design new processes and energy systems
- Push the development of new technologies beyond the current state of the art
- Evaluate the feasibility and impact of new technologies
- Implement developed ideas
MSc ENTECH gives graduates many career opportunities. The industry contacts made throughout the programme, and the entrepreneurial skills you gain, gives you a strong foundation from which to further you career in energy innovation, either in industry or through further research and doctorate
“Graduates from the ENTECH have already started their own successful businesses while others have gone on to work in larger companies including E.ON, Siemens and Porsche. Others are pursuing PhD studies at some of the most prestigious technical universities in Europe: Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, the Technical University of Eindhoven, Delft University, the Technical University of Dresden, and the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne.”
How to apply for the programme
Current application dates
- Round 0: 13 November 2017 – 7 January 2018
- Round 1: 8 January 2018 – 25 February 2018
- Round 2: 26 February 2018 – 22 April 2018
Review the admission criteria
Before applying, make sure you can meet all the admission criteria:
- A completed Bachelor’s degree (worth a minimum of 180 ECTS credits)*
- English language proficiency
- Programme-specific requirements
* If you are in your final year of undergraduate education, you can also apply and receive a conditional offer
Prepare the required documents
You will need to upload the following documents as pdf files with your application:
- A copy of your Bachelor’s degree certificate
- A copy of your transcript of records
- Proof of English proficiency
- Your CV or resume
- A copy of your passport
- Where required, a motivation letter explaining why you wish to apply to the programme
Fill in the online application form
You will need to answer questions related to:
- Your personal details
- Your preferred study options (If you wish to apply to two programmes, you can give your first and second preference)
- Your preferred first-year study location (where applicable)
- Your educational background
- Your English proficiency
- Your reasons for applying and your experience of innovation and entrepreneurship
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 16, 2018