Mathematics is the foundation on which so many other academic disciplines are built. Mathematicians use mathematical theory, computational techniques, algorithms, and the latest computer technology to solve economic, scientific, engineering, and business problems.
Engineers, computer scientists, physicists, and economists are among those who use mathematics extensively. Statisticians, actuaries, and operations research analysts, are actually specialists in a particular branch of mathematics. Mathematicians should have substantial knowledge of computer programming because most complex mathematical computation and much mathematical modeling are done on a computer.
- MAT 500 Set Theory
- MAT 501 Fundamentals of Modern Mathematics
- MAT 510 Abstract Algebra I
- MAT 620 Real Analysis I
- MAT 622 Complex Analysis I
- MAT 640 General Topology I
- MAT 690 Seminar
- MAT 529 Research and Thesis
Major Elective Courses
- MAT 505 Introduction to Computer Science
- MAT 512 Linear Systems
- MAT 513 Number Theory
- MAT 550 Combinatorics
- MAT 560-61 Operations Research
- MAT 623 Complex Analysis II
- MAT 641 Topology II
- MAT 655 Numerical Analysis
In addition to fulfilling the general requirements for a master’s degree at Alabama State University, the following special requirements must be satisfied by students who seek the Master of Science degree in mathematics:
- The student will be required to demonstrate competent reading knowledge of a foreign language, preferably French or German. Upon the recommendation of the department, a substitute language may be offered. The language examination shall be written and shall consist of the translation into English of selections from texts and articles related to the area of concentration. Passing of the examination shall be valid for a period not exceeding eight years.
- Six semester hours of an acceptable foreign language in which a cumulative average of at least B was earned may be presented in lieu of the language examination.
- A bachelor’s degree with a major or minor in mathematics is required.
- Acceptable scores on the general test of the Graduate Record Examination and advanced test in the area of mathematics are required.
This school offers programs in: