Master of Public Affairs
You can make a real difference in the world. A Master of Public Affairs allows you to solve the crucial problems facing society, help people, and serve your community. Public service professionals – whether in government or nonprofit and nongovernmental organizations – play a vital role in addressing important issues and impacting lives for the better.
The University of Missouri has offered public service education for over 50 years. Established in 2001, the Harry S Truman School of Public Affairs has 14 TSPA, 26 affiliated and 8 adjunct faculty members and is part of the University’s College of Arts and Science.
The Truman School advances the study and practice of governance in Missouri, the nation and the world. The mission of the Truman School’s MPA Program is to prepare a diverse student body for ethical leadership in the public, nonprofit, and private sectors. The MPA program draws upon the interdisciplinary teaching, research and public service capacity of the Truman School, the University as a whole and practitioners to provide students with a range of perspectives and experiences that promote public service values and democratic discourse. Through their coursework, students build knowledge of policy processes and management principles and develop critical thinking and analytic skills that enable them to advance in careers in a rapidly changing public service.
Our goals are to:
- Offer a comprehensive set of core and specialization courses that build a strong theoretical foundation in public affairs, policy, and management, develop rigorous analytic skills, and provide opportunities for practical application of knowledge, skills, and competencies to significant public policy and management issues.
- Ensure students gain hands-on experiences and engage with public and nonprofit organizations as an integral part of the program.
- Promote public service values across the curriculum and provide opportunities for experiential application of these values.
- Promote respect for diversity by exposing students to national and international scholars, governmental and nonprofit leaders, and students from various countries who exemplify public service values.
- Provide students with the skills to critically analyze, evaluate, propose, and facilitate solutions that address the dynamic challenges facing the public, private, and nonprofit sectors.
Our students don’t have to wait until graduation to start making a difference. They gain hands-on experience through capstone projects and internships.
Visit our website to calculate the fee