- Ideal for practicing engineers who want advanced, cutting-edge knowledge and skills in a chosen engineering field or to move into an engineering management role.
- Lead and contribute to complex projects.
- Respond rapidly and effectively to current and emerging local and global challenges.
- Use evidence-based practice to imagine and realize change using management strategies, advanced design, collaborative decision-making, and innovation.
- This course is provisionally accredited by Engineers Australia.
Why choose this course?
Our Master of Professional Engineering enhances the knowledge, practice, and professional employability skills of engineers in specific discipline areas at an advanced level. This course provides an integrated mix of specialist discipline complexity and evidence-based practice with future-focused professional skills development in a connected learning environment.
Three-quarters of new engineering graduates looking for full-time work find it within four months and have the highest rate of professional or managerial employment of all STEM graduates [Norton, 2016].
You can choose from four majors as part of this program: electrical and management, mechanical and management, electrical engineering or mechanical engineering.
- Electrical and management offer an engineering management qualification to practicing engineers, specializing in electrical engineering. It combines a formal qualification in management with advanced electrical engineering skills and knowledge.
- Mechanical and management offers an engineering management qualification to practicing engineers, specializing in mechanical engineering. It combines a formal qualification in management with advanced mechanical engineering skills and knowledge.
- Electrical engineering provides advanced theoretical understanding and knowledge of current professional engineering practices in electrical engineering. It focuses on the technical discipline area, sustainable and ethical considerations, and evidence-based practices.
- Mechanical engineering provides advanced theoretical understanding and knowledge of current professional engineering practices in mechanical engineering. It focuses on the technical discipline area, sustainable and ethical considerations, and evidence-based practices.
This course is suitable for the practicing engineer wanting to change engineering disciplines and attain postgraduate qualifications.
Through your studies, you will learn how to:
- apply advanced and specialist knowledge, concepts and practices in engineering design, analysis management, and sustainability.
- critically analyze and evaluate complex engineering problems to achieve, research-informed solutions.
- apply systematic approaches to plan, design, execute and manage an engineering project.
- communicate complex information effectively and succinctly, presenting high-level reports, arguments, and justifications in oral, written and visual forms to professional and non-specialist audiences.
- organize and manage time, tasks and projects independently, and collaboratively demonstrating the values and principles that shape engineering decision making and professional accountability.
You will be engaged with the demands, complexities, tools and contemporary practices of authentic engineering environments. You will develop and shape contemporary authentic professional skills for immediate application in workplace contexts.
You will undertake your studies through a range of learning practices, including industry-led case studies, project-based learning. Your capstone learning experience is a workplace-based or authentic two-semester project staged via a series of developmental assessments. This is supported through preparation for a simulated international engineering conference (peer-reviewed poster presentation and paper).
What to expect
This two-year course provides a developmental path for professional engineers to master skills in selected engineering disciplines and the interaction of those disciplines. It aims to enhance your skills in dealing with more complex engineering problems and interactions between engineering technical domains and the broader context in which they exist.
The Master of Professional Engineering provides post-professional knowledge and skills in a range of engineering disciplines. As such, it will equip you with the abilities to become a leader in your chosen engineering field. The program offers both theoretical understanding, and practical applications of advanced professional engineering practices, with a focus on themed technical discipline areas and sustainable, ethical, and managerial abilities.
We are currently seeking provisional accreditation with Engineers Australia for the Master of Professional Engineering. Professional accreditation allows graduates to work as a professional engineer in countries that are signatories of the Washington Accord.
As a graduate of the Master of Professional Engineering, you will be an Engineers Australia-accredited professional engineer with advanced cutting-edge knowledge and skills in a chosen engineering field or engineering management role. You will be able to lead and contribute to complex projects and respond rapidly and effectively to current and emerging local and global challenges. You will have research capacity for evidence-based practice, to imagine and realize change using management strategies, advanced design, collaborative decision-making and innovation in ethical and sustainable ways as appropriate to your role; you will be strategic in the use of digital technologies. You will be an effective collaborator and communicator in disciplinary and interdisciplinary contexts with knowledge of and respect for diverse cultural perspectives.
As a graduate, you will be able to apply integrated computer-based approaches to monitor and manage internal and external resources in an organization and implement a range of strategies and practices to support organizational objectives such as competitive advantages, innovation, sharing lessons learned, integration and continuous improvement. You will be able to become a specialist engineering manager within your chosen professional field, in particular, a leader and manager of engineering processes. You will be capable of undertaking management level roles in operations management, quality control management, logistics, enterprise resource planning, supply chain management, and other specialized engineering fields.
Our Master of Professional Engineering is provisionally accredited by Engineers Australia. Professional accreditation allows you to work as a professional engineer in countries that are signatories of the Washington Accord.
- Control systems engineer
- Digital signal processing engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- Electrical Power Engineer
- Electrical and Computer Engineer
- Engineering Technologist
- Engineering manager
- Mechanical Engineer
- Network Manager
- Telecommunications engineer
Your actual fees may vary depending on which units you choose. We review fees annually, and they may be subject to increases.
2019: $36,400 per year full-time (96 credit points)
2020: $38,000 per year full-time (96 credit points)
About the School
QUT is a major Australian university with a global outlook and a real-world focus. We are one of the nation’s fastest-growing research universities and our courses are in high demand. Our graduates in ... Read More