The Master of Professional Counselling in Monash University Malaysia is a skill-based course suited to those with an interest in counselling. It is taught by academics with extensive experience of working as professional counsellors/psychologists.
This course is designed to prepare you to become registered counsellors in settings such as community mental health, schools, health centers, workplaces, and in private practice. The course is also suitable if you are already working in various professions who may wish to utilise counselling skills in roles such as teaching, social work and human resources.
A distinctive feature of the course is its focus on preparing students to be culturally competent counsellors in Malaysia and the region. This course requires you to undertake 504 hours of clinical placements, including a minimum of 192 hours of client contact. Through these mandatory placements, you have an opportunity to apply theory to practice under supervision in clinical settings.
This course will be submitted for accreditation by the following professional organisations:
- Malaysian Board of Counsellors (Lembaga Kaunselor Malaysia)
- Australian Counselling Association (ACA)
- Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA
This course consists of advance prepatory units, core units and application units.
You must complete:
(a) Four advanced prepatory units (24 points)
- Counselling practice and theory
- Human growth and lifespan development
- Mental health issues: grief, trauma and substance abuse
- Counselling in a multicultural context
(b) Eight core units (48 points)
- Children and adolescents counselling
- Personnel and career development counselling
- Counselling skills: individuals and couples
- Ethics and professional issues in counselling and psychology
- Group counselling skills and psychotherapy
- Cognitive behaviour therapy
- Advanced personnel and career development counselling
- Counselling research design, statistics and program evaluation
(c) Four application units (24 points)
- Psychological assessment and measurement
- Counselling practicum
- Research project in counselling
- Counselling Internship
On completion of the course, you should be able to work as counsellor with an advanced level of knowledge, and be cognisant of the professional issues involved in undertaking counselling as a profession in Malaysia and the region. You would be able to work in settings such as community mental health clinics, schools, health centers, workplaces and in private practice.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 13, 2017