The Master of Music program in ‘Music Education’ provides candidates with a comprehensive study of the theory, latest research and skills that shape this specialization as well as the capacity to explore the broader significance of Music Education within the contemporary social context.
Objectives & Outcomes
The program aims to:
- Offer a broad and comprehensive graduate program in Music Education.
- Provide students with extensive and diverse knowledge, skills, experiences and attitudes in the area of Music Education.
- Create the conditions for students to participate in and develop musical and pedagogical activities of the highest level, within a range of contemporary educational settings.
- Enable students to develop critical thinking and participate in research projects related to the teaching and learning of music, both within and outside of the school environment, at a national and international level and combining a range of formal and informal teaching strategies.
- Enable students to develop expertise in research in the area of Music Education.
The program aims to:
- Prepare students for effective and successful teaching and diverse artistic engagement as teachers and leaders in public and private schools, conservatories and organizations.
- Develop and enhance student knowledge and skills required to conduct, study and critically evaluate research in Music Education, hence allowing them to vigorously act upon their role as renowned music educators both in Cyprus and abroad.
- Prepare music educators who will act creatively and productively with their students and colleagues.
- Endow students with knowledge, attitudes and skills that will enable them to be active leaders in the musical, educational and cultural life of their community.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Design, prepare and present educational research, of a small or large scale, in the area of Music Education.
- Critically read and comment upon research of diverse methodological approaches in Music Education.
- Analyze philosophical and historical dimensions of Music Education, illuminating their importance and their relation to teaching.
- Study the theories and the research findings of psychology of music and understand their applications in music pedagogy.
- Analyze, from a sociological perspective, institutions, processes and challenges in contemporary Music Education.
- Design educational interventions based on research and practices of contemporary educational approaches in music.
- Discuss and evaluate curricular concepts and theories in relation to current research approaches in curriculum design in music.
- Critically analyze a wide spectrum of music repertoire originating from various historical periods and diverse musical genres and civilizations, while taking into consideration its social, historical and aesthetic background.
- Organize, lead and direct choral and instrumental ensembles of high artistic level, demonstrating excellent musical, technical, expressive and methodological expertise.
- Embed a variety of up-to-date technological tools in their teaching to support musical learning, demonstrating their pedagogical and musical value.
- Actively participate in music ensembles through which one can study and perform a diverse repertoire with confidence, precision, musicality and sensitivity.
- Discuss and critically evaluate theories and approaches in multicultural education and culturally relevant pedagogy in music, as well as in world music pedagogy.
- Organize pedagogical interventions, with emphasis on the development of creativity and improvisation in various educational contexts.
Educators are able to utilize their expertise in the public and private domain and to engage in further research.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 4, 2017