Master of Management in the Field of Finance and Investment
Become a master of finance and investment with tools and knowledge designed to expand your world view and act as a catalyst for change and success in a local context.
Explore the intricate world of finance on a graduate level with the Master of Management in the Field of Finance and Investment, one of the hallmarks of the Wits Business School. With a special focus on the emerging market and its particular financial needs, the MMFI is designed to administer dedicated, comprehensive training to prospective financial practitioners, increasing their knowledge base exponentially for effective real-world application. Learn the inner workings of financial markets, the inherent opportunities present, and how to channel this understanding into making a valuable contribution on a local scale for our collective benefit.
The Master of Management in the Field of Finance and Investment is a full-time, one-year block-release programme. It includes a set of core courses, track-oriented elective courses, and a programme thesis that must be completed in 12 months. The thesis will focus on one of the following specialisation streams: Investment and Financial Engineering; Banking, Capital Markets and International Finance; or Corporate Finance.
As a block-release programme, it is designed to accommodate working students and students who need to tool-up quickly to advance their careers in the finance field.
- Corporate Finance and Financial Statement Analysis
- Finance Macro-Environment Analysis
- Applied Finance Econometrics
Students choose four electives from any of the three specialisation streams below to be completed in 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters:
*Please note: The electives offered are dependent on the number of students signing up for a particular elective.
- Corporate Finance
- Advanced corporate finance and corporate governance
- Capital budgeting and project finance
- Advanced financial statement analysis and disclosures
- Banking and Capital Markets
- Banking operations and financial institutions management
- Investment banking and primary markets
- Real estate markets and mortgage finance
- Development and entrepreneurial finance
- Emerging markets and financial market development
- International finance and globalisation
- Investments and Financial Engineering
- Trading and securities selection
- Asset management and portfolio formation
- Derivatives, debt and structured contracts
- Models, forecasting and risk management
- 4-year degree/diploma NQF8 with a major in one of the following: Economics, Mathematics, Finance, Business Studies, Engineering or Law (with evidence of strong numeracy)
- Individuals with limited numeracy will need additional mathematics training (an overall average performance of 65% or better)
- Work experience is an advantage but not a requirement
- Letter of motivation
- Copies of all academic transcripts and degree certificates
- SAQA evaluation certificate (for students whose prior degrees were not awarded by a South African university)
- Proof of English language proficiency (for students who have not studied at tertiary level in English)
- Non-refundable application fee of R200
- Management Part 3 Word Format (to be downloaded, completed and submitted)
- Complete the on-line application form
Additional Entry Requirements
Applications to the MMFI are processed through the Student Enrolment Centre at Wits. Enquiries regarding the status of your application may be addressed to the Wits Business School call centre either through email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0861 00 927
Please ensure that all information uploaded is correct and that you have included everything required on the checklist. In order to be considered by the Admissions Committee, your application form and the other required documentation (including the transcript and other supporting documents) must reach the Student Enrolment Centre before the stated closing date for all academic programmes.
Disclaimer: Cancellation of programmes by WBS
- WBS is entitled to cancel or change the date of delivery of a programme without notice and for any reason without incurring any liability to individuals who have applied or are enrolled on the programme or any funders of such individuals (“participants” or “funders of participants”).
- Without derogating from the aforesaid, and insofar as it possible, WBS will provide the participants or funders of the participants with 30 (thirty days) days written notice of any cancellation or changes in the dates of delivery of the programme.
- Insofar as the programme is cancelled or rescheduled prior to delivery of the programme then in that event the participants and funders of the participants will not be charged the full programme fees.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 13, 2017