Master of Landscape Architecture/Design
Faculty of Architecture – CEPT University
Landscape Architects/Designers play a pivotal role in a country like India that is fast changing in its physical form. The present-day Landscape Professional has been trained not just to be the garden beautifier but ecologically sensitive protector of the natural resources and works at varying scales, complexities, and typologies, which includes projects in regional landscapes, housing, institutional, recreational, urban, heritage, infrastructure, industrial and household spaces. In addition to developing technical capabilities, today a Landscape Professional needs to develop a critical understanding of the scope of the profession and evolve a value system and a keen sense of inquiry in order to allow appropriate responses in the constantly changing world.
Landscape programs at CEPT University are designed to allow a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the profession. It provides professional education to develop landscapes in densely built environments and master plans through intense design education supported with strong engineering foundation. Students have demonstrated new thinking, coupled with measured and relevant responses to varying landscape situations. The spirit of exploration and finding creative solutions is a part of the education. The underpinning principle is an emphasis on the design of landscapes towards development and conservation of natural sustainable ecosystems
The Curriculum includes lecture courses, in theory, technical subjects, and design studios. Design studios focus on the development of students’ critical abilities with an aim not only confined to deriving suitable designs in response to a brief but also with a greater emphasis on the design process and research. Graduates from these programs are presently working for leading landscape architecture and design firms in India and abroad, while many have chosen to establish their own practices. A section of the graduating students also chooses to join large development/real estate firms. Some graduates of the programs pursue teaching and research as a career path. Overall, there are vast opportunities for developing a successful career of one’s choice after graduating from these programs.
Note: Name of the program is subject to the approval of UGC.
Minimum Qualifications & Eligibility Criteria
Master of Landscape Architecture
A first professional undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s Degree) in Architecture (B.Arch) and Interior Design (B.I.D) disciplines with at least four full-time academic years in duration offered by a recognized University or Institution.
Master of Landscape Design
- A postgraduate degree in any of the disciplines like Botany, Ecology, Horticulture, Geography, Agriculture, Forestry, Geology, Hydrology or similar natural sciences of a minimum of two years of full-time study with a prescribed bridge course*.
- 4 years Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering (BE/B.Tech) or Planning and equivalent to a prescribed bridge course*.
*Please note: The admission will be provisional subject to their successful completion of prescribed bridge course, offered by CEPT University in June 2018. It will be a 45 days course and details will be updated on the website.
Minimum requirements to apply for the programs is 55% aggregate marks for general category candidates and 50% aggregate marks for reserved category candidates in the qualifying degree. Two years professional and/or teaching experience along with computer drawings skills like CADD software is desirable.
Sanctioned Intake: 24
Procedure for Admissions to Master of Landscape Architecture/Landscape Design for the Academic year 2018-19.
The application shall consist of the following:
- Completed application form
- Statement of Purpose
- Self-attested Degree certificates, mark sheets for all semesters
- Academic and/or Professional experience certificates
- Recommendation letters – two numbers
- Portfolio: Selected academic works including the dissertation, and professional works if any (please refer to application form for prescribed format). The portfolio can be up to 10 A4 sheets. In addition, a print of portfolio and thesis/dissertation or final year project should be bought at the time of Admission Test)
Admission procedure consists of two stages. The process will be common for all eligible applicants
Stage I - Shortlisting the candidates: Shortlisting is done on the basis of last qualifying exam marks, statement of purpose and Portfolio. All shortlisted applicants will be called for Admission Test.
Stage II – Admission Test: The admission test for shortlisted applicants shall be held at CEPT University. Dates for the admission test shall be declared on the CEPT website.
Admission test comprises of written and drawing tests, followed by personal interview. The written test is a multiple choice questions test based on aptitude in landscape, design, environment, and ecology. The drawing test will evaluate design aptitude and representation skills. The drawing test for non-design background students will be based on sketching skills.
Applicants are advised to read books, articles or magazines on the landscape for the personal interview. A suggested list is as under:
- This Fissured Land: An Ecological History of India: Ramchandra Guha
- Fourth Citizens' Report [SOE-4]: Dying Wisdom: Rise, Fall, and Potential of India's Traditional
- Water Harvesting System (published by CSE) Anil Agarwal, Sunita Narain
- Between Landscape Architecture and Land Art: Udo Weilacher
- Envisioning Information: Edward Tufte
- Our Environment: Laeeq Fatehully
- Landscape of man: shaping the environment from prehistory to the present day – Jellicoe, Geoffrey Susan.
- Urban Landscape Design – Eckbo, Garret
- Ecology and Equity – Madhav Gadgil
- The Hungry Tide (fiction) – Amitav Ghosh
- The Great Derangement – Amitav Ghosh
- Collapse – Jared Diamond
- Cradle to Cradle- William Mcdonough and Michael Braungart
- The Future of Life- Edward O. Wilson
- Landscape as Urbanism- Charles Waldheim
- Landscape and Memory- Simon Schama
- Gardens of El Pedregal- Keith Eggener
- Only one earth: The care & maintenance of a small planet – Barbara Ward
- An Inconvenient Truth – Al Gore
James Corner; Terra Fluxus
Evaluation shall be done by the Admission committee, appointed by the Faculty of Architecture. Each applicant will be evaluated for the following parameters:
|Criteria||Weightage in %|
|Last Qualifying Examination Aggregate Marks||15%|
|Statement of Purpose||5%|
|Portfolio (up to 10 A4 Sheets)||10%|
|Criteria||Weightage in %|
The consolidated common merit order of the applicants interviewed shall be displayed on CEPT website. Based on the availability of seats and acceptance status of applicants, the admission committee, at its discretion may decide to announce further waitlists as per the order of consolidated merit list.
Fees & Financial Aid
Fees for Academic Year 2018-19 will be updated soon.
Fees for Academic Year 2017-18
Rs. 1,600,000 /- per semester*
Rs. 25,000/- (One-time Refundable Deposit)
*Fee for the second year is subject to annual revision.
Student Financial Aid
Please be informed that you can avail Pre Admission Scholarship (Means cum Merit) by filling up the scholarship form. Scholarships ranging from 25% to 75% of the annual tuition fee will be awarded to selected students from among the eligible applications.
Last date for submission of Scholarship is 20th April 2018
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Students with family income less than Rs. 10 lacs per annum are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Recipients of the scholarship will continue to receive the scholarship for the full duration of the program subject to maintaining a minimum 2.7 SGPA (the equivalent of B-) in every semester and completing all courses in the first attempt.
- University holds the right to reject the scholarship application, in case of absence of any required supporting documents to be submitted by the applicant.
- The award of the Scholarship will be announced along with your Admission Offer Letter, however, the amount will be disbursed after one month from the beginning of semester/lectures.
For any further clarification in this regard please contact Admissions Office in below mentioned contact details.
About the School
CEPT University focuses on understanding, designing, planning, constructing and managing human habitats. Its teaching programs build thoughtful professionals and its research programs deepen understan ... Read More