Master of International Urban and Environmental Management
Globally, more people now live in urban centres than in rural areas. This population shift into the city and its associated growth poses significant challenges to urban planners, urban designers, government officials, policy makers and development professionals.
This unique postgraduate program focuses on international urban and environmental management (IUEM) in nations of the Global South. You’ll develop critical and analytical skills to provide appropriate technological and community-based responses to urbanisation issues such as:
- infrastructure development
- informal settlements
- environmental degradation
- ecological and economic requirements.
This interdisciplinary program provides an intensive professional education that will equip graduates to work on sustainable urban development.
The program is offered on campus and online. All core courses and some electives are offered online.
It caters for those who intend to work on international projects at the regional and/or local scale, for governments of emerging nations, development organisations, aid or emergency agencies and with professional consultancies.
Completion of an Australian Bachelor degree or equivalent in social sciences, environmental and planning or international development with a minimum 65% average.
Applicants with an undergraduate degree from another discipline must have paid or voluntary Australian industry experience in relevant fields such as environment or planning. Applicants with significant paid or voluntary Australian industry experience in relevant fields such as environment or planning may also be considered.
Applicants may be considered for entry if their undergraduate studies are not related. Please submit:
- evidence that demonstrates your ability to construct a clear evidence-based argument in writing, by providing examples of experience you may have had writing reports and/or publications
- full details of relevant prior study and work experience in the form of a CV and two reference letters.
English language requirements:
To study this program you will need to complete one of the following English proficiency tests:
- Academic IELTS (minimum scores) overall band of 6.5 with no individual band below 6.0
- TOEFL (Paper-based): minimum score of 580 (with a Test of Written English (TWE) score of 4.5)
- TOEFL (Internet-based): minimum score of 92 with a minimum of 20 in each section
- Cambridge English (Advanced CAE): CAE Grade B
- Pearson: Minimum score of 58 (no band less than 50).
This school offers programs in: