The Master of International Studies is for graduates and professionals who want to develop an in-depth understanding of the relationship between nations and regions across areas such as globalization, diplomacy, economics, international law, labor, migration, culture, media, environment, and security.
The program will help you understand some of the major business, social and political issues that are impacting on the international agenda, and how these affect your organization or professional practice.
The program also places emphasis on applying theories to practical problems in the greater Middle East and learning how to create policies and strategies that are relevant to the region's historical and cultural background.
18 - 24 months
Through research, analysis, critical thinking and evaluation, you will develop skills that form the foundations for business and government leadership roles, combined with a thorough understanding of the international issues that affect the UAE, the GCC, and the Middle East and South Asia region.
UOWD’s Master of International Studies is an asset for anyone who is working or would like to work for government or private organizations that manage diplomatic or business relationships with other countries.
If you are a professional already operating in an international context, the MIST program will provide you with the cultural skills to manage relationships and broker collaborations with organizations from different countries and cultures, making you even more of an asset for your particular organization.
Students and graduates of the MIST program typically work as:
- Members of Government/Civil Service/IGOs
- Members of NGOs and INGOs
- Country/Region Heads
- Policy Specialists in Think Tanks
- Managers in the Travel/Tourism Industry
Accreditation and Recognition
This program is accredited by the UAE Ministry of Education - Higher Education Affairs and is fully recognized within the UAE and internationally for further education and employment in the private and public sectors.
In addition, the program is quality assured by UOW, which is registered with the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA), the national regulator of the higher education sector in Australia. UOWD graduates have the opportunity to exchange their UOWD degree for the equivalent UOW Australia degree after completion.
MIST students will study five core subjects, three electives and produce a thesis, which is equivalent to two subjects. Students may take a maximum of two subjects per semester. Each subject requires one evening of attendance per week for 13 weeks. Classes are held 6:00pm - 9:30pm, Sunday - Thursday. At this rate, students are able to complete the degree program in five semesters.
The following five subjects form the core subjects of the MIST program:
Core Subjects (30cp)
- MIST962 Politics of International Relations and the Middle East
- MIST966 Transforming MENA
- MIST943 Globalisation and Citizenship
- MIST948 Social Change and Development
- MIST949 Research Methods and Design^
Choose ONE of the following:
- MIST993 Research Project in International Studies
- MIST994 Extended Research Project in International Studies
- MIST995 Thesis in International Studies
^Must be taken by all new entrants in their first semester of study
Electives(2-4 subjects depending on the choice of capstone) choose as many required
If MIST993 is chosen, complete SIX electives (36cp) from the list below
If MIST994 is chosen, complete FIVE electives (30cp) from the list below
If MIST995 is chosen, complete FOUR electives (24cp) from the list below
- MIST940 International Law and Diplomacy
- MMC941 Global Mediascape
- MIST944 Labour and Migration
- MIST946 International Economic Relations
- MIST950 Internship in International Studies
- MIST996 Advanced Topics in International Studies: Environment
- MIST904 Advanced Topics in International Studies: Terrorism & Counter-Terrorism
- MGNT978 Cross-Cultural Management
- MGNT923 Contemporary Issues in International Business
About the School
We have combined the academic excellence of Australia’s 12th highest ranking university with the culture and excitement of the cosmopolitan city of Dubai, to provide a dynamic, stimulating and rewardi ... Read More