The KU Leuven’s Master of Science in International Politics is a one-year Master’s program that empowers students to gain critical insight into today’s key issues in world politics. The program is designed to provide students with rigorous research and analytical skills and prepares them for careers in NGOs, research organizations, and political institutions in the EU and around the world.
What is the program all about?
The Master of International Politics (MIP) aims to provide students with the theoretical and methodological skills necessary to study governance in a globalizing world. With an explicit focus on international politics, the program is geared towards students who are interested in international diplomacy, peace processes, conflict management, global environmental politics, and international political economy. It also offers specialized courses on regional political developments in Europe, China, Russia, Eurasia, and the Middle East.
The MIP program offers students the opportunity to study at one of Europe's oldest and most well-established universities and offers them the opportunity to engage in international affairs at all levels. The program is both promoted and supported by the Faculty of Social Sciences and rejoice regular interaction with developments in and outside political institutions in Brussels.
Why study this program?
- The program is taught by international academics who are passionate about their field of expertise and are at the forefront of current research in political science and international relations.
- The program offers a variety of teaching methods, strengthening communication and professional skills: interactive class discussions, group work, presentations, guest lectures, and study visits.
Is this the right program for me?
The Master of International Politics is designed for students who answer ‘yes’ on the following questions:
- Do you want to specialize and advance your knowledge in international politics?
- Are you interested in how the European Union competes with other global economic powers?
- Do you want to gain insight into why the United States of America withdrew from climate change agreements?
- Would you like to know how peace processes evolve and which role diplomats play?
- Are you interested in the current and future challenges of a globalizing world?
During the Master of International Politics students will develop three complementary roles:
- As an expert, students will have the cognitive capacities and analytical skills to make a comparative study of political actors, structures and processes on a national, European and international level.
- As a researcher, students will be able to independently transform a complex problem into research questions, research design and prepare a complete empirical cycle to formulate an answer for each research question, using the appropriate methods of social sciences.
- As a political analyst, students will have insight into the political order and the structures and processes through which policy is formed and can critically analyze the political processes of power acquisition in which different actors and institutions are involved.
Graduated students of the Master of International Politics will have access to a wide range of employment pathways across various sectors, including the private, governmental and non-governmental sectors at the national, European and international levels. They will be able to compete for a career in academia or as a policy or decision-maker in the political arena. They will have the necessary skills to work as a regional expert, UN consultant, an employee in a non-profit organization, program coordinator, policy adviser, researcher, diplomat or journalist.
Start your career, during your studies
During your bachelor's and master's program you can already shape your own profile by choosing a certain specialization, studying abroad (Erasmus), doing a work placement, or starting your own business.
The Student Career Center is happy to put you on the right track towards your first work experience. The center also coaches you in the search for an interesting job and helps you with job interviews. For students wanting to start their own business, KU Leuven also has Lcie, the KU Leuven community that encourages students with innovative and entrepreneurial ideas.
Don't know where to start? The Student Career Center's databases contain offers for jobs, volunteer work, innovation projects, and student jobs. you can also visit one of the events organized by the Career Center.
About the School
KU Leuven is an institution for research and education with international appeal. All programmes at this University are based on the innovative research of its scientists and professors and are ranked ... Read More