What is like?
Development studies at Massey is ranked in the top 100 in the world in the QS World University Rankings.
Advance straight from your bachelor’s degree
The Master of International Development is a 180-credit course that can follow on immediately from your bachelor’s degree.
Deepen your understanding to effect change
You will gain an advanced understanding of how the global economic, social, political and environmental forces affect people and shape different parts of the world. These insights will allow you to recognise where inequalities lie and identify strategies to help overcome poverty and enhance human wellbeing.
Learn from experts in the field
Massey University was, in 1989, the first university in New Zealand to offer postgraduate qualifications in development studies. We’ve built on that reputation by developing world-class courses in international development.
Our professors and lecturers are scholars and active researchers but are also people with experience in development policy and practice in diverse contexts including the Pacific, Asia and Africa.
Get great career skills
Graduates of the Master of International Development will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge and skills that can be applied in developing policy and strategies, and in managing and evaluating international development programmes.
- critically and rigorously evaluate contemporary international development theories, policies and approaches.
- conduct independent research and analysis of international development issues, collect relevant data, and be able to write persuasively about this.
- demonstrate mastery of social science research approaches and techniques and be able to undertake independent research in a well-planned and ethical manner.
- interpret research findings and draw out relevant implications for development theory, policy and practice.
About the School
For more than 80 years, Massey University has helped shape the lives and communities of people in New Zealand and around the world. Its forward-thinking spirit, research-led teaching, and cutting-edge ... Read More