The Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) degree program at South University-West Palm Beach is designed to prepare students from a variety of backgrounds to seek employment in healthcare management and leadership upon graduation.
The 12-course (48 credits) program is founded with the philosophy that healthcare leaders require strong competencies in both healthcare and management to be successful. Specifically, competencies are addressed in contemporary healthcare management and leadership strategies, present healthcare systems and organizations, policy evaluation and planning techniques, financial management, and business operations. The curriculum is designed to provide students with a sound foundation in solving the problems of today’s health systems, a greater understanding of management issues and to prepare them to seek employment in middle and senior management roles in health administration of hospitals and other health services organizations, as well as the private and public health infrastructure.
Graduates will be able to:
- Analyze real-world business problems in healthcare organizations understanding the framework in which healthcare services are produced, coordinated, consumed, and reimbursed.
- Integrate human resource, marketing, finance, and information management skills into the analysis for healthcare settings.
- Develop ethical and professional solutions for healthcare business challenges.
- Analyze contemporary strategic planning and decision-making in healthcare to assess alternative management solutions in healthcare-related problems and challenges.
- Evaluate critical issues in acute and long-term care environments from the perspectives of the healthcare stakeholders.
Master of Healthcare Administration students have many avenues to consider upon graduation. Whether it’s a leadership role in a healthcare facility or the manager of a wellness program, our students can finish the MHA program prepared to pursue whichever position they choose within the industry.
Within this industry, there is a demand for healthcare professionals. Job growth for Medical and Health Services Managers is projected to be 20% from 2016-2026, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Here are a few careers that our students consider:
- Clinical Director: Through creating effective policies and overseeing implementation as a manager, clinical directors improve the quality of healthcare offered to patients.
- Mental Health Program Manager: Also known as behavioral health program directors, these individuals help implement specific programs within public and private mental health facilities.
- Practice Administrator: The responsibility of a Practice Administrator is to oversee various elements within a medical facility. One of those tasks is ensuring departments are properly staffed.
Master of Healthcare Administration: 48 Credits
- MHA5010 Healthcare Management and Organizational Behavior, 4 Credit Hours
- MHA5020 Healthcare Organizations and Administration, 4 Credit Hours
- MHA5030 Current Economics in Healthcare, 4 Credit Hours
- MHA6050 Regulation and Policy in Healthcare, 4 Credit Hours
- MHA6060 Health Law and Ethics, 4 Credit Hours
- MHA6080 Healthcare Planning and Marketing, 4 Credit Hours
- MHA6100 Executive Leadership in Healthcare Organizations, 4 Credit Hours
- MHA6120 Management Information Systems in Healthcare, 4 Credit Hours
- MHC6303 Quality Performance and Management, 4 Credit Hours
- MHC6305 Financial Management of Healthcare Organizations, 4 Credit Hours
- MHC6306 Human Resource Management in Healthcare Organizations, 4 Credit Hours
- MHA6999 Seminar in Healthcare Cases, 4 Credit Hours
South University, Online Program Offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- Simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
How to apply
We make the application process as smooth as possible so you can start earning your degree right away. Our admissions representatives will guide you through our three-step process.
- To get started, call 888-444-3404, to speak with an Admissions Representative or fill out our request information form.
- An admissions representative will review our degree programs with you, give you an overview of the admissions process, and help you complete the application process. You can take a guided tour of our campus or a virtual tour online. Apply Now
- A Finance Counselor will work with you to discuss options and qualifications and to develop a payment plan that works for you. Programs with alternative application procedures.
2020-21 Starting Dates
About the School
South University provides a warm, supportive learning environment that will encourage you to engage with a community of faculty, staff, and students eager to play a role in helping you achieve your ed ... Read More