The Master of Governance and Public Policy (MGPP) degree aims to impart knowledge, skills, and analytic capability about the rational application of methods, practical tools and techniques in public governance including the formulation, implementation, and evaluation of public policy in the dynamic and complex era of globalization. The Program combines relevant contemporary theories, professional skills, practical knowledge, high-level research skills, and critical thinking to approach the questions of governance and policy management in the new millennium. The MGPP equips students with cutting-edge skills to undertake open, accountable, responsive, and inclusive leadership to address the administrative, ethical, financial, organizational, and political challenges in delivering superior governmental services and making effectual decisions.
- To prepare professionals and public policy leaders to discuss, analyze, and evaluate public policies.
- To appreciate the complex and cross-sectoral nature of public policy, public policy challenges, and public policy solutions.
- To implement the skills necessary to address important criteria of transparency, accountability, responsive, effectiveness, efficiency, and inclusive in all policy processes.
- To develop leadership skills necessary to lead national and local institutions and perform administrative, financial, organizational, and political activities.
- To exercise ethical and moral standards in public policy processes and leadership behaviors.
- To equip students with various analytical tools to effectively diagnose and proffer solutions to complex public policy issues.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Comprehend selected theories and methods in public governance, policy analysis, market-government relations, macro and microeconomics, public budgeting, leadership, and research in the analysis and formulation of public policy.
- Conduct governance and public policy research using appropriate research methods, ethics procedures, and statistical analysis
- Apply qualitative and quantitative skills in the formulation of public policy independently and in teams.
- Use different tools and techniques in policy analysis, stakeholder management, successful policy implementation, effective program evaluation, and financial management
- Communicate descriptive and analytical knowledge effectively in written and oral format to various audiences.
- Demonstrate preparedness for continued reflective practice and lifelong learning in public policy and governance.
Required Credit Hours: minimum 36 hours
Governance and Public Policy
Required Courses (24 hours)
- ECON541Economics for Policy Analysis
- ECON544Financial Management and Public Budgeting
- PSG501Public Policy Analysis Theory & Practice
- PSG504New Public Man & Governments
- PSG505Research Methods for Political Analysis
- PSG517Government, Leadership, & Public Management
- PSG518Public Policy Design and Tools
- PSG527Seminar in Government & Public Policy in the UAE
Elective Courses (6 hours)
- PSG513Globalization, International Agencies & Public Policy
- PSG521Environmental Policy & Sustainable Development Management
- PSG522Implementation, Evaluation & Monitoring of Strategic Issues
- PSG526Comparative Political Institutions
Required Course (6 hours)
- PSG699 Master Degree Thesis
To meet the needs of UAE society all 9 Colleges at the United Arab Emirates University have established Master’s programs across multiple disciplines.
Students wishing to enroll in a program can apply online through our online application system.
This online service allows you to:
- Complete the online admissions application.
- Save your application to complete later) please note to remember your Login ID and PIN).
- Upload documents in support of your application (each document separately).
- Submit your online application.
- Upload the security form.
You can find detailed steps on how to apply for the graduate programs offered by UAEU by clicking on the following files
If you need additional assistance, you can visit the Admissions Department where a member of staff will assist you to complete the online admissions application.
Bachelor’s degree holders (National & International).
The College of Graduate Studies (CGS) has established minimum requirements for admission to Master’s programs. Individual Master’s programs may set additional and/or higher standards for admissions. To view the minimum requirements please click here.
All applicants must complete the Electronic application form. The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- Identity documents for Emirati students (copy of passport, nationality ID and UAE identity card). and international students inside UAE (copy of passport, valid visa, and UAE identity card). international students outside UAE only copy of Passport.
- Copy of official certificates & transcripts (Mark sheet) from all colleges or universities attended (Master and Bachelor). For the students whose have Degrees from outside UAE, kindly note they should have equivalency letter from the ministry of education in UAE.
- An official copy of the applicant’s score on the IELTS or TOEFL exam from one of the university’s accredited centers.
- A detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Two letters of recommendation from professionals familiar with the student’s academic work.
- Complete the Security Form.
- Undertaking Deliver the Equation Form.
3,000 AED per credit hour (Tuition). 200 AED (Application Fee).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 14, 2018