Master of Furniture Design
Faculty of Design –CEPT University
Furniture is an integral part of the human habitat. Depending on the type of living environment, furniture could be the result of a bespoke design or it may be an object that is mass produced. The M. Design – Furniture Design program is a pragmatic response to the growing needs of the furniture industry and of the retail market to-date. The exponential rate of growth across all metro cities is leading to a huge demand for high-quality affordable furniture in all sectors. Currently, a large percentage of furniture supplied to the market comes from abroad and could as easily be designed and made in India.
In the spirit of the new ‘Make in India’ initiative promoted by the national government, this program will prepare students to be a part of the emerging reality of India as a global, high-tech, high-skill industrial hub. The program aligns with the ‘Make in India’ initiative in its vision to:
- Foster Innovation
- Enhance skill development
- Protect intellectual property
- Build best-in-class manufacturing infrastructure
Addressing this reality, the program will equip students with the tools to be able to add value to all aspects of the furniture industry. "Adding value" is the key objective for the designer whereby the detailed understanding of materials and manufacturing processes enable better products to be made. In addition, the needs of the consumer, either private individuals, corporate or institutional customers, will be understood so that the most appropriate design solutions may be arrived at.
The recently introduced 2-year full-time postgraduate program leading to Master of Design – Furniture Design, is a skill-based professional program which will prepare students as designers and innovators for the rapidly developing Indian furniture industry. The program will address contemporary issues in design such as mass production, customization, future technologies, environmental concerns, and sustainability.
Students will be taught by highly-trained academic staff who are also practicing professionals in the field. They will have access to a first-class workshop facility which will be integrated into the learning process; where ideas can be tested and full-scale models made. All the resources of CEPT University campus will be available to the students of the program and they will be encouraged to engage with different design disciplines.
The program spans four semesters that are each structured around a specific design theme, starting from small-scale simple domestic elements and leading to an understanding of complex specialized needs of institutions. Students will spend their fourth semester as interns working on a live-project with a company to acquire first-hand industry experience before they graduate. Students may have the opportunity to be engaged by design studios overseas to undertake their internships.
Overall, the program equips students with in-depth understanding of furniture design and production and encourages them to investigate the current trends in materials, technology and consumer behavior in order to develop innovative, efficient and culturally relevant furniture for the Indian market.
The M. Des Furniture Design Program focuses on the following methods of teaching:
- Hands-on learning.
- Group dynamics - participation, discussion, brainstorming.
- Thesis and antithesis – independent thinking, research, exploration.
- Learning from industry specialists in various fields related to furniture design.
- High faculty to student ratio leading to increased interaction and attention for each student and their specific needs as design students.
- Access to visiting faculty from industry and practicing professionals.
- Multidisciplinary interaction of students across CEPT University through projects, electives and summer/winter schools.
- Studio visits/visits to industry, manufacturing units.
Admissions and Prerequisites
All applications to the program are evaluated based on a portfolio, a statement of purpose and an interview (in person or via teleconference). The three-stage selection process culminates with the final merit list of all eligible applicants.
Minimum qualification for applying to the program comprises of:
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture recognized by the Council of Architecture, OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design (four years or more), OR
- Diploma and/or Degree in Interior Design or Interior Architecture or Design of minimum four years duration (12 + 4), provided that the program is considered equivalent to a degree program by the Equivalence Committee of CEPT University
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Civil Engineering (minimum 4 years program).
International Entry Requirements
CEPT’s guiding principle for International Admissions is to seek equivalence between International standards achieved and those of Indian home students. There are differences between Europe, America and India in degree length, academic standards and award structure. CEPT will, therefore, consider each International application on its merits seeking international equivalence and bearing in mind any professional requirements that these Programs have.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 4, 2018