The AFDA MFA is a unique postgraduate degree program designed for self directed learning and for individuals who have a commitment to: life long learning and professional values; reliability and the capacities for self management, co-operation and team work; the ability to effectively communicate and successfully apply problem solving strategies and spontaneous adaptation to circumstance.
Students are required to register for two broad areas of study:
- Academic Research (Individual)
- Professional Practice (Production Teams or Professional Productions.)
Candidates are required to complete one of the following:
- A feature film – Minimum 48’ Min
- A Feature Documentary of a minimum of 48’min
- Feature film screenplay/Script of TV Series – series outline and 2 episodes
- Up to 3 special projects drawn from the following:
- Short film, 24 min
- A pilot for a TV series or novella
- Three related commercials
- A documentary, 24 min
- A factual entertainment TV project of 48’ duration
- Professional Practice can be conducted within production teams constituted of fellow MFA students. Professional productions can also be considered if these allow for and fulfill the AFDA MFA assessment criteria.
The MFA retreat sessions:
All MFA students will be required to annually attend 5 scheduled AFDA retreats, of one week (5 days) each. MFA students will be responsible for scheduling various meetings, consultations and feedback sessions with their appointed supervisors and mentors.
Supervisors and mentors:
- Internal or external supervisors are assigned by the Postgraduate School based on the specific research topic and the qualification and expertise of the supervisor The supervisor provides overall academic supervision and guidance of the student to ensure the research requirements of the degree are fulfilled.
- The role of discipline mentors are performed by professional experts which could either be AFDA staff members or industry professionals. They provide creative guidance and instruction, critical feedback and procedural advice on honours projects and productions. They oversee the practical component of the degree.
Program fees: Kindly contact NadiaC@afda.co.za for more information.
Duration of program: From 26 January 2016 to 5 December 2017. Start date: From 26 January 2016 to 5 December 2017 (including enrolment and orientation). Next application deadline date: 15 December 2017
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017