The Master of Fine Arts in Film, Television and Digital Media, is a three-year, full-time programme, leading to a terminal degree in creative media production. It is the first of its kind in the Greater China region. Graduates of this programme will become media professionals with artistic sense, social responsibility, and international vision. Some of their career goals will be producers, directors, screenwriters, and other professional areas in the media industry. Graduates with an MFA degree are also eligible to teach at a college level in certain higher education communities.
The courses are structured on the most desirable distribution of MFA Programme:
- Practice-oriented: 60 - 70%
- History, Criticism and Theory: 15 - 20%
- Non-practice supporting course: 15 - 20%
The programme also enables students to gain specific insights into one form of media of their choosing and a broader understanding of others. The curriculum ensures that each student receives relatively broad training in film, television and digital media in the first year. The first two semesters are designed to build a foundation for postgraduate media training. Students are required not only to be familiar with the practical operations of film, television and digital media but also to understand related developments in theory and criticism. In the second year, students have a wide range of elective courses, enabling well-balanced professional training (scriptwriting, film/TV production and digital media production) and artistic nurturing. The third year is dedicated to courses in support of the thesis project.
Each student will be able to choose one of the following media forms as his/her thesis project:
- Script Writing;
- Film/TV Production;
- Digital Media Production.
The programme requires 66 units, i.e., 19 courses (57 units) and 9 units of MFA Thesis Project within three years of study for the entire programme.
The table below is applicable to all thesis forms (Film production/Digital media production/Scriptwriting).
4 core courses:
4 core courses:
2 core courses:
2 elective courses
|4th Semester||4 elective courses||12|
3 elective courses, and
^Students should complete the following prerequisite courses of MFA Thesis Project in the first and second year of study:
- Thesis delivered as a work of Film/Video Production:
- CTV 7150 Dramatic Film/TV Production (3 units); and
- CTV 7170 Advanced Dramatic Film/TV Production Workshop (3 units); and
- CTV 7160 Documentary Film Production (3 units)
- Thesis delivered as a work in Scriptwriting:
- CTV 7110 Advanced Script Writing Workshop (3 units); and
- CTV 7130 Comedy: Theory and Practice (3 units); and
- CTV 7440 Television Drama Writing (3 units)
- Thesis delivered as a work of digital media:
- CTV 7430 Visual Effects (3 units); and
- a non-unit bearing intensive Digital Media Workshop; OR
- TWO non-unit bearing intensive Digital Media Workshops
Notes: Elective courses from MACOMM and MMGT will not be necessarily offered each year. The quota is limited. Please consult the programme office for details.
To qualify for admission, applicants should meet the following requirements:
- Hold a Bachelor degree or equivalent from a recognized university or comparable institution;
- Show evidence of academic aptitude and interest in creative activities;
- Obtain a TOEFL score of at least 550 (paper-based) or 79 (internet-based), or IELTS result of at least Level 6.5*
- This requirement is only applicable to students originating from countries/institutions where English is not the major medium of instruction. e.g. Mainland China and Taiwan
- Students with relevant talents but a lower English standard (i.e., an IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent) may be considered for admission on the condition that the students must complete an English enhancement course arranged by the programme.
Short-listed applicants may attend an interview with faculty of the Academy of Film.
Only online applications will be accepted.
- Please complete an online application at the following link. The online application form for the upcoming academic year is usually ready in mid-November:
- Please upload the following application documents on the online application system:
- One copy of all academic transcripts and degree certificates
- One copy of official test scores: IELTS or TOFEL
- Two confidential recommendation forms from people familiar with the applicant’s academic performance and/ or professional work
- A 2000-word essay outlining the applicant’s academic interests and objectives. (Either in English or Chinese)
- A portfolio of creative work (video, film, digital media, painting, photos, script, fiction etc.)
- A photocopy of Hong Kong identity card OR passport/identity document issued by the applicant’s home country
- Tuition fee: HK$98,000 per year
- Application fee: HK$450 for non-local applicants/ HK$350 for local applicants (non-refundable)
Merit-based scholarships will be awarded to students with outstanding academic performance in the Programme.
About the School
The School of Communication of Hong Kong Baptist University was founded in 1968. It provides a comprehensive range of programmes in communication available in Hong Kong at the undergraduate and postgr ... Read More