Last updated December 11, 2018
Mechatronics Design combines the fields of mechanical and electrical engineering in the study of integrated modelling, analysis, design and manufacture of electromechanical and mechatronic systems. These principles can be applied in the following industries: transportation; manufacturing and production engineering; biomedical and healthcare technologies; energy; aviation and aerospace; automated office and household technologies; and computer systems.
Students must have a Bachelor of Applied Science or equivalent, as well as some prior education in mechatronics design, to be eligible for the Mechatronics Design MEng program.
- Degree: Master of Engineering
- Subject: Engineering
- Mode of delivery: On campus
- Specialization: Mechatronics Design
- Program Components: Coursework only
- Faculty: Faculty of Applied Science
This is a highly intensive program with a heavy course load, including strong laboratory components requiring significant teaching and instrumentation resources. We receive a large number of applications from around the world, but can only accommodate a limited number of students each year. Successful candidates will be those with the highest academic standing and the most relevant background in mechatronics subjects such as machine design, electronics, instrumentation, and software, with strong fundamentals in the discipline of Mechanical Engineering.
Applicants with Canadian or U.S credentials
Applicants must hold a Bachelor of Applied Science or equivalent, conferred at a recognized institution in North America, as well as relevant prior education in mechatronics design, with:
- A minimum overall average of B+ (76% at UBC) in third- and fourth-year level courses, or
- Academic standing with at least 12 credits of third- or fourth-year level courses in the A-grade range (at UBC 80% or higher)
Applicants must hold a credential deemed comparable to a Canadian four-year Bachelor of Applied Science, as well as relevant prior education in mechatronics design, with:
- A minimum overall average equivalent to B+ (the MEng Program Office has established specific minimum admission requirements for graduates of different countries), and
- A minimum IELTS score of 6.5 or TOEFL iBT score of 93 (see below for specific language test requirements)
Any applicant whose degree was conferred at a university outside Canada, other than the United States, the United Kingdom, New Zealand or Australia, must present evidence of competency to pursue studies in the English language prior to being extended an offer of admission. Test scores must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of application, and official test scores ordered from the testing agency are required for application. Photocopies of test scores are not acceptable. No test waiver is allowed.
English Proficiency Tests and Minimum Requirements
This school offers programs in: