MEngSc Materials Science & Engineering FT
Graduate Taught (level 9 nfq, credits 90)
The MEngSc in Materials Science and Engineering provides engineers with a special education and training in the area of metals, ceramics, polymers and composites for industrial engineering applications from biomedical device manufacture to future energy solutions.
- This programme is delivered by a School with a long history of innovation.
- This school attracts approximately €5m in research funding annually.
- Focus on the use of materials in engineering systems.
- Advanced integrated theoretical, conceptual and practical knowledge.
- A technical research project in collaboration with world-leading research groups.
Who should apply?
Full-Time option suitable for:
Domestic(EEA) applicants: Yes
International (Non-EEA) applicants currently residing outside of the EEA Region. Yes
- Engineering students who have successfully completed a 3-year BSc (Engineering Science) ‘First Cycle’ honours degree at UCD or any other academic institution and who have achieved a good Second Class Honours standard (e.g. a UCD GPA of 2.80 or greater). Those admitted on this basis will be required to complete 120 new ECTS credits over two academic years. This structure includes a Long (30 credit) or Short (10 credit) Professional Engineering Work Placement.
- Engineering or science graduates from any cognate discipline who are seeking to specialise in materials science and engineering at postgraduate level.
Materials Scientists and Engineers are at the centre of virtually every area of technology from optoelectronics to space materials and from automotive and Aeromotive manufacturing to biomedical devices. Graduates from this programme will be fully qualified professional engineers, capable of working anywhere in the world at an advanced technical level or as a professional engineering manager. Graduates will also have specialist training in underlying scientific fundamentals and practical materials handling and analysis techniques that will make them attractive to either potential employers or equip them for further study at an advanced postgraduate level such as PhD studies in Ireland or across the world.
If you are a graduate of the MEngSc Materials Science & Engineering programme you can look forward to limitless employment opportunities in a substantive array of industries. Most companies worldwide employ materials professionals and examples where UCD materials graduates now work are: General Electric or Rolls Royce (Aerospace), Astrium (Space), Stryker or Boston Scientific (Biomedical) or Siemens (Energy).
Fees, Funding and Scholarships
MEngSc Materials Science and Engineering (T286) Full Time
- EU fee per year - € 7640
- nonEU fee per year - € 24200
***Fees are subject to change Tuition fee information is available on the UCD Fees website. Please note that UCD offers a number of graduate scholarships for full-time, self-funding international students, holding an offer of a place on a UCD graduate degree programme. For further information please see International Scholarships.
- A 4-year bachelors degree with a minimum upper second class honour (NFQ level 8) or international equivalence in a relevant Engineering, Science or Technology programme.
- Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.0 in each element) or equivalent.
Dudu Geng. 'I chose this course as I wanted to study further in materials science and engineering. My background was initially in metallic materials, especially in welding. I studied the effects of welding crack defects in for nearly two years in China before coming to Ireland.I decided to come here to study as I want to learn some other aspects of materials science and obviously, UCD was my preference. One reason for this is that it offers an incredibly broad curriculum, from start-of-art medical device technology to the materials science behind nanomaterials like graphene. Wherever your interests lie, this program will give you a broad yet detailed understanding of materials science and its engineering applications.More importantly, through this one-year programme, you will learn how to work and get along with people from different backgrounds which will give you new perspectives on how to tackle problems and build your teamwork ability as well as leadership.'
*Courses will remain open until such time as all places have been filled, therefore early application is advised
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 23, 2018