School of Engineering and Digital Sciences
Nazarbayev University’s School of Engineering and Digital Sciences (NU SEDS) has designed all of its programs to revolutionize the traditional engineering and science learning environment of lectures and laboratories to include modern components that engage students in project-based exercises in critical thinking.
As world-class leaders in STEM education, all NU SEDS graduates enter the global marketplace as highly skilled experts in their chosen field of study. Our graduates go on to become innovators who overcome the obstacles in Central Asia and Eurasia’s advanced technology industries.
The SEDS promotes a mission of utilizing advanced technologies and research to shape student expertise and train them in critical thinking and inventive design.
Graduates of NU SEDS are coveted in the global engineering and digital science community because of our students’ interdisciplinary perspectives essential to advancing modern industry and infrastructure.
About the program
The Master of Engineering Management degree program is offered by the School of Engineering and Digital Sciences in partnership with the Graduate School of Business at Nazarbayev University. The aim of the program is to prepare students with the technical skills and business knowledge for the leadership of engineering-related units of enterprises with innovative solutions for complex business problems.
The program emphasizes adapting and applying analytical, mathematical/optimization and computing skills and scientific knowledge into business practice. It is the MBA of the engineers. Students learn about project management, operations management, supply chain management, engineering management, engineering economy, quality and lean management, big data and information management, marketing, R&D management, new product development, entrepreneurship, business ethics, business strategy, business communication, leading change and innovation, and many other aspects of managing a successful business. MEM is a very popular program attracting many candidates every year. The main reason is that all our graduates find a good job upon graduation or they improve their current job position.
Graduate School of Business courses are offered at the Second Semester and are all block-based delivered as intensive three weeks courses. SEDS courses, on the other hand, are offered at the other three Semesters and are all long Semester fourteen weeks courses. The aim of the program is to prepare students with the technical skills and business knowledge for the leadership of engineering-related units of enterprises with innovative solutions for complex business problems.
- Campus: Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
- Language: English
- Delivery mode: Full time, on-campus
- Duration: 2 years
- Total ECTS credits: 120
Aims and objectives
The aims of the MEM program are:
- To provide postgraduate engineers with the current tools, knowledge, and skills necessary for a successful career in local and global engineering management.
- To support the progression of engineers of all disciplines to management roles in both the private and public sectors.
- To develop future leaders of technology-based organizations by providing a state of the art and applied engineering management curriculum to a select group of high potential students with science and engineering backgrounds.
- To promote the importance of entrepreneurship, intrapreneurship and the core values of ethical enterprise in modern economies.
- An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent).
During the application period, final year students may submit an official current transcript for consideration.
- A minimum CGPA of 2.75 out of 4.0 (or equivalent).
- English Language Requirements.
IELTS – no less than 6.5 overall (with at least 6.0 in each sub-score) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website.
- High motivation and a strong interest in the program as outlined in a statement of purpose.
- CV (Resume).
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Strong mathematical skills as demonstrated by ALEKS test administered by the School on a set date. Applicants who provide valid GRE or GMAT test certificate may request an exemption from mathematical skills test;
Work after graduation
Possible career destinations:
- Engineering Project Manager
- Logistics and Supply Chain Manager
- Senior Lead Analyst
- Operations Manager
- Quality Manager
- Cost Systems Analyst
- Production Manager
- Services Unit Manager
- Industrial and System Management Engineer
- Plant Manager
Strategic partners of Nazarbayev University
- Duke University, Fuqua School of Business (USA)
- The National University of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (Singapore)
- The University of Pennsylvania (USA)
- The University of Cambridge (UK)
- Colorado School of Mines (USA)
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
- The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (USA)
- The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (USA)
- The Oak Ridge Associated Universities (USA)
About the School
Located in Nur-Sultan City, Kazakhstan, in Central Asia, Nazarbayev University is a research university with growing international renown combining education and innovation on a state of the art 21st- ... Read More