The course covers a combination of the technical skills and management knowledge essential in the development of innovative solutions to complex technical business problems.
This course will provide you with a thorough understanding of:
- leading technology and engineering projects;
- managing teams, engineering functions and organisations;
- developing new products and services;
- designing and managing the supply chain; and
- the economic aspects and decision-making processes of engineering projects; and electromechanical systems.
The course will offer you the opportunity to acquire and develop the skills and tools necessary to progress to management positions within an organisation. It will also build on your existing technical knowledge, relating it to the management aspects of the course by means of case studies and projects. The course balances academic theory with practical opportunities to demonstrate engineering management capabilities, and deliver solutions to real problems through assignments and projects.
- Technology evaluation and commercialisation
- Technical, research and professional skills
- Economic aspects of engineering projects
- Electromechanical systems and manufacturing technology
- Supply chain engineering and operations management
- Energy, the environment and product life-cycle
- MSc engineering project/dissertation
Methods of assessment
Assessment is through examinations and also practical work and assignments using case studies, group work, research projects and presentations.
Development of practical skills
You'll develop your practical engineering skills through work carried out in laboratories and workshops; in the industry through supervised work experience; in individual and group project work; in design work; and in the development and use of computer software in design, analysis and control. Evidence of group working and of participation in a major project is expected.
Overview course structure
The course is based on two semesters per academic year with three modules being delivered and assessed in each semester on the full-time mode. The part-time curriculum consists of the same modules, set out over two years.
The Master in Engineering Management develops those areas of management that you'll require to progress in a management career, but firmly anchored in an engineering context.
Graduates will possess a unique set of technical and management skills which should make them very attractive to prospective employers, especially in technology or engineering-led companies.
Bachelor degree equivalent to UK Second Class Honours Lower Division in a relevant subject
In order to be considered for entry to the course applicants will be required to have the following qualifications:
- A degree equivalent to UK Second Class Honours Lower Division in an engineering subject. Students will be interviewed to ensure that their qualification is appropriate for this programme of study.
- Professional qualifications (e.g. CEng) along with several years of relevant industrial experience (should include analytical work). The relevant industrial experience is to be assessed by the Course Director.
- Overseas applicants are required to have a minimum English language IELTS score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in any of the components.
The British Government’s Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) is designed to check and approve students who will undertake studies and research in certain subjects.
The requirement for an ATAS certificate applies to students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland that have limited leave to enter or remain in the UK (e.g. Tier 4 student visa, refugee status, EEA visa, etc.), you will need to apply for an ATAS certificate.
Once you have been made an unconditional offer you may start the process of applying for ATAS clearance.
When you come to the University to register for your course, you will need to present the ATAS certificate. Please note that you will not be able to fully enrol onto the course if you fail to present the ATAS certificate.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 26, 2018