The Master of Engineering Management (MEM) program is offered at two Twin Cities, Minnesota locations: MEM in Plymouth and Executive MEM in St. Paul.
MEM in Plymouth will prepare you for a managerial role. The course content is suitable for all engineering disciplines, as well as those working in science, technology, and mathematics. You will learn from faculty who actively work with local companies.
For engineers wanting to pursue technical leadership roles, it is an alternative to the MBA degree.
- The program is offered at St. Cloud State at Plymouth and is also available online through a synchronous Adobe Connect Connection as well as in asynchronous mode through recordings of lectures.
- Designed for full-time students to complete the coursework in 12 months as well as part-time and on-line students to complete the program on a part-time basis in 18-24 months.
- Graduates of the program are eligible for obtaining the American Society of Engineering Management's certified associate engineering manager (CAEM) title on graduation.
- Faculty partner with local industries to provide students with hands-on experience through applied courses.
- International students have come to the program from Nepal, Malaysia, India, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Thailand, and other countries.
- Full-time students are eligible to apply for graduate assistantships and on-campus jobs.
- International students are eligible to use 11 months of CPT for completing their capstone project. The MEM program is a STEM program and offers international students additional STEM OPT.
- 1 of 5 master's programs in Engineering Management in the United States certified by the American Society for Engineering Management.
- Training engineers to be managers since 2002.
- All faculty members have doctorates and extensive industrial experience.
- The editor of the American Society of Engineering Management (ASEM)'s Engineering Management Body of Knowledge (EMBOK) is a tenured faculty in the program.
- American Society of Engineering Management
|International Outside U.S.||International Inside U.S.|
|Fall||June 15||August 1|
|Spring||October 15||December 1|
|Summer||February 1||April 15|
- Business analyst
- Quality Engineer
- Supplier Quality Engineer
- Operations Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Six Sigma Specialist
University Facts & Stats
- 60 graduate programs leading to graduate certificates, master’s and doctoral degrees
- More than 200 graduate assistantships awarded per year
- Graduate assistants receive up to a $9,250 stipend per year and tuition reimbursement for up to eight graduate credits per semester.
Requirements and Details
Applicants for admission to the Master of Engineering Management program should have a minimum of two years of work experience in an engineering position after finishing their undergraduate degree or should be currently employed on a full-time basis with a U.S. based organization.
Applicants without the required experience may be admitted provided they do a minimum of one full-time internship during the program or complete three industry-based projects (excluding the capstone project) during the course of the program.
Prospective students may email program director Dr. Ben Baliga for a no-obligation preliminary evaluation before sending in your formal application. He will let you know informally whether your application will be accepted.
Requirements for international students
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for all international applicants.
- A minimum score of 100 for unconditional admission
- Scores between 79 and 99 may be required to clear an English as a Second Language (ESL) exam on arrival
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) also accepted for determining English language proficiency.
- 7.5 required for unconditional admission
- 6.5 allows admission with an ESL test on arrival
St. Cloud State also requires all international applicants to provide NACES evaluation affiliated organizations such as World Education Services (WES) and Educational Perspective evaluated academic transcripts.
Students who have graduated from an engineering program at one of the following universities are exempt from the WES or NACES member evaluation requirement and should send an English translated, notarized transcript directly to St. Cloud State:
- Acharya Nagarjuna University, India
- Osmania University, India
- Anna University, India
- Rajeev Gandhi Proudyokig Vishwavidyalaya, India
- GITAM University, India
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, India
- Jawaharlal Nehru Tech University, India
- Shri Vaishnav Vidyapeeth Vishwavidyalaya University, India
- JK Lakshmipat University, India
- University of Mumbai, India
- Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, India
- Visveswaraiah Technological University, India
- Kakatiya University, India
- Nagpur University, India
- Shanghai University of Engineering Sciences, China
- Manipal University, India Xi'an University, China
- Tribhuvan University, Nepal
Students who have an international transcript from St. Cloud State partner institutions are also exempt from the WES or NACES member evaluation requirement and should send an English translated, notarized transcript directly to St. Cloud State.
About the School
At St. Cloud State, an education is about far more than an education. It will be an opportunity to explore ideas, seek out unique perspectives and embrace new challenges – all of which will help you u ... Read More