Program update: The MEL in Resource Engineering Management will not be accepting applications for the 2019 intake. Check our other MEL program offerings for further opportunities.
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Resource Engineering Management is an intensive one-year degree program, at the UBC Okanagan campus in the city of Kelowna, for engineers ready to deepen their technical expertise and widen their leadership perspectives within the resource sectors. Resource industries are searching for technical leaders and project managers who know how to sustainably maximize asset value and minimize risk. They need engineers who are able to manage complex, multidisciplinary projects for the benefit of people, the environment and the economy.
Propel Your Career Forward
This unique master’s degree program will:
- deepen your knowledge of major resource-, environmental- and energy-related resource development challenges;
- broaden your sector-relevant skills through a project-based curriculum that covers all stages of the industry value chain;
- provide a dynamic learning environment that includes project work, seminars, conferences and other innovative teaching strategies;
- include a real-world professional resource engineering project that brings together mechanical, civil and electrical engineering;
- offer opportunities for you to collaborate with world-renowned faculty and industry experts at the UBC Okanagan campus; and
- help you advance your career by balancing technical learning with in-depth leadership courses on project management, business and communication.
You are eligible for this program if you meet the MEL admission requirements and you have:
- an undergraduate degree in engineering; and
- three or more years of relevant work experience.
As a graduate of this program, you will have the skills to take your career in resource engineering to the next level – tackling complex engineering challenges in this in-demand field while confidently leading collaborative multi-disciplinary teams.
The MEL in Resource Engineering Management is a 12-month, full-time program at the UBC Okanagan campus in Kelowna. Many of the courses you take will adopt a flipped classroom format. This means that you will be expected to review course content ahead of classroom time, through readings or watching lecture videos. During classroom time, you’ll be engaged in discussions and activities to apply what you’ve learned. This could include case studies, group project work, and experiments and demonstrations.
As a graduate of this program, you can expect to advance your career locally, nationally and internationally. Employers in industry and government are seeking talented engineers in sectors that include forestry, mining, energy, electricity and the environment. And given the continued importance of resource-based industries to both the Canadian and global economy, graduates of this program are expected to be in high demand.
Cost & Fees
- International students: CAD $48,801.40 per year
- Canadian students: CAD $28,090 per year
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 1, 2018