The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering is an intensive one-year degree program intended for engineers three to five years or more into their careers. This program combines the engineering and physics of ship design with broad business and leadership training. For more recent engineering graduates, UBC also offers a more technical Master of Engineering degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. There is a growing need for talented engineers who can bridge the gap between technical staff and business leaders. Graduates of the MEL program will be highly sought after for their ability to bridge this divide and for their unique combination of leadership and technical sector-specific skills. Watch this video and learn more about this unique technical management program from our students and professors.
Propel Your Career Forward
This unique master’s degree program will:
- equip you with the ability to manage complex shipbuilding design and procurement programs and become fully qualified in ship project management;
- broaden your sector-relevant skills through a project-based curriculum that covers all stages of the industry value chain;
- provide a dynamic learning environment that includes the option of a 12-week co-op work program;
- offer opportunities for you to collaborate with world-renowned faculty and industry experts; and
- help you advance your career by balancing technical learning with in-depth leadership courses on project management, business and communication.
You are eligible for this program if you meet the MEL admission requirements and you have:
- an undergraduate degree in engineering; and
- three or more years of relevant work experience.
As a graduate of this program, you will have the technical and leadership skills to take your career to the next level.
The MEL in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering is a 12-month, full-time program that combines classroom learning and integrated hands-on training.
Our graduates will be in high demand locally, nationally and internationally by employers seeking technical experts who can also manage and lead teams. Job opportunities include working as a ship surveyor, in a shipyard engineering position, as a design engineer and as a class society representative.
Cost & Fees
- International students: CAD $48,801.40 per year
- Canadian students: CAD $28,090 per year
- Degree: Master of Engineering Leadership
- Subject: Engineering
- Mode of delivery: On campus
- Specialization: Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Program Components: Coursework only
- Faculty: Faculty of Applied Science
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 30, 2017