The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering is designed for engineers who want to accelerate their career by leading and supervising teams and managing complex technical projects. This program combines the engineering and physics of ship design with broad business and leadership training.
UBC is the only centre for naval architecture and marine engineering study on the Pacific coast of North America, and Vancouver is a strategic coastal location with an industrially diverse environment. The program maintains vigorous links to the regional marine industry in both the government and private sectors, offering learning resources that add value to each student’s experience.
In just one year, this master’s degree will:
- equip you with the ability to manage complex shipbuilding design and procurement programs and become fully qualified in ship project management
- broaden your sector-relevant skills through a project-based curriculum that covers all stages of the industry value chain
- provide a dynamic learning environment that includes the option of a 12-week co-op work program
- offer opportunities for you to collaborate with world-renowned faculty and industry experts
- help you advance your career by balancing technical learning with in-depth leadership courses on project management, business and communication
Watch this video and learn more about this unique technical management program from our students and professors.
- Undergraduate degree with an overall average of 76 %
- Document proving your current citizenship (usually a passport or other citizenship document from your country) or your Canadian permanent residency
Program Specific Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree in engineering
- Three or more years of relevant work experience
As a graduate of this program, you will have the technical and leadership skills to take your career to the next level.
The MEL in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering is a 12-month, full-time program that combines classroom learning and integrated hands-on training.
Our graduates will be in high demand locally, nationally and internationally by employers seeking technical experts who can also manage and lead teams. Job opportunities include working as a ship surveyor, in a shipyard engineering position, as a design engineer and as a class society representative.
Cost & Fees
- International students: CAD $48,801.40 per year
- Canadian students: CAD $28,652.62 per year
- Degree: Master of Engineering Leadership
- Subject: Engineering
- Mode of delivery: On campus
- Specialization: Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Program Components: Coursework only
- Faculty: Faculty of Applied Science
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 26, 2018