The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in High Performance Buildings is designed for engineers and architects who want to make a difference in the building sector. Graduates of this program will have the technical and leadership skills to improve the energy performance of existing buildings and design integrated high-performance energy systems for new buildings.
Energy use in buildings is a significant contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, making it a high priority to design more energy-efficient buildings and retrofit existing buildings. This is a growing sector, with opportunities in consulting, construction, manufacturing and government. With governments at all levels increasing the standards for energy conservation, there is a need for professionals who can take leadership in designing the integrated high-performing energy systems in our built environment.
Government and industry employers are seeking professionals who have the creative and visionary skills to develop the processes and systems that can lead to lasting change. Combined with strong leadership and business skills, this program will help you to develop innovative solutions, manage teams and direct projects — a skill set that is highly relevant in today’s business environment.
The MEL is a 12-month degree starting in January. While 60 per cent of your High Performance Buildings courses will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills. Delivery of the management and leadership courses are in partnership with UBC's Sauder School of Business.
- Degree: Master of Engineering Leadership
- Subject: Engineering
- Mode of delivery: On campus
- Specialization: High-Performance Buildings
- Program Components: Coursework only
- Faculty: Faculty of Applied Science
- School: School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in High-Performance Buildings is a professional degree for architects and engineers who want to excel and drive innovation in the building industry. This hybrid master’s program combines graduate-level architecture and engineering courses with UBC Sauder School of Business courses – giving you the skills and confidence to take your career in new directions.
Across the globe, there is an increasing demand for high-performance buildings – buildings that enhance our urban environments through reduced energy use and greenhouse gas emissions while improving the overall experience of those who use them. Governments and leading organizations are seeking architects and engineers with an integrated understanding of energy systems and regenerative development to design the next generation of high-performance buildings. They’re also looking for individuals who have the business insight and interpersonal skills to lead multidisciplinary teams and guide change.
Choose Engineering And Business
The MEL in High-Performance Buildings offers a unique combination of technical and business classes – giving you the strategic skills to play a leading role in forward-thinking organizations. You’ll take architectural courses on green building design and engineering courses on energy modelling and design. Business courses offered by the top-ranked UBC Sauder School of Business give you a solid foundation in business strategy and innovation, operations and logistics, project management, and organizational leadership.
Gain A Competitive Edge
In this 12-month program you will:
- be immersed in a dynamic and integrated research environment that brings together the fields of engineering and architecture
- sharpen your technical and analytical skills through a project-based curriculum that incorporates hands-on learning opportunities, including two interdisciplinary capstone projects where you’ll improve the environmental performance of an existing building and develop a high-performance energy system for a new building
- study under renowned faculty and industry experts at one of the world’s top 40 universities
- expand your professional network while collaborating with other MEL students
- gain the fundamental business, project management and interpersonal skills to advance your career and confidently take on positions of increased responsibility
- Undergraduate degree with an overall average of 76 %
- Document proving your current citizenship (usually a passport or other citizenship document from your country) or your Canadian permanent residency
A Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) degree from UBC gives you the credentials and knowledge to confidently take on positions of greater responsibility or make the shift into a new industry sector.
Upgrade Your Technical Skills
You’ll gain an integrated technical foundation in energy systems design and modelling, equipping you to be a technical leader in integrated design and the construction and maintenance of green building energy systems.
Learn The Language Of Business
Technical knowledge is not enough. Through courses offered by UBC Sauder School of Business, you’ll gain foundational business skills, improving your understanding of broad-based management concepts.
Become A Confident Leader
Leadership development is embedded throughout the program, giving you ongoing opportunities to lead teams and projects and strengthen your interpersonal skills.
Gain A Professional Master’s Degree From A World-class University
UBC is one of the world’s top 40 universities and its programs and professors have a global reputation for excellence. UBC’s Faculty of Applied Science is home to one of North America’s premier engineering schools and the instructors in the School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture are acknowledged leaders in their field.
UBC Sauder School of Business is ranked first in Canada and 38th in the world for business and management studies, and the school is known for its commitment to rigorous, relevant and experiential teaching.
Expand Your Network
As a student in the MEL in High-Performance Buildings program, you will grow your personal and professional network by:
- learning from world-renowned faculty members who are specialists in green building design and operation
- studying alongside motivated peers who bring a diverse range of work experience and perspectives to the program
- taking business courses with students from other professional graduate programs in the Faculty of Applied Science – engaged and ambitious professionals from the multidisciplinary MEL and Master of Health Leadership and Policy programs
“Our program engages some of the best practitioners in the field to teach our applied courses. We’re using a team-based approach that brings experts in the field of energy modelling, green building and regenerative design to work directly with our students.” – Ron Kellett
Professionals who have mastered a technical specialization and the fundamentals of business have a distinct competitive advantage. In demand by both government and industry employers, our graduates are successfully moving into sought-after positions and new industry sectors.
“Professionals who are able to “speak” the language of both engineering and business are more likely to be successful in implementing new ideas in commercial buildings especially.” – Dr. Adam Rysanek
The MEL in High Performance Buildings degree provides a strong technical foundation in energy systems design modelling, equipping you to be a technical leader in the integrated design, construction and maintenance of green building energy systems. This technical foundation is balanced by courses in leadership and business, giving you a powerful skill set for overseeing the design of green buildings, from the initial planning stages through to implementation and operation. Examples of typical graduate job roles include Engineering consultant, LEED professional, city or municipal planner, code and bylaw developer, project manager in architectural & engineering firms, building energy auditor and energy manager.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 11, 2018