Program update: This program is currently under review. We are planning on relaunching this program with a January 2020 intake. Further details to be released in the coming months.
"Sustainable Process Engineering is the new Green Bio-Products"
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Green Bio-Products is a professional degree for engineers and environmental science graduates who want to excel and drive innovation in the green bio-economy. This hybrid master’s program combines graduate-level engineering courses with UBC Sauder School of Business courses – giving you the skills and confidence to take your career in new directions.
There’s a growing demand for green alternatives to replace oil-based products and fuels in applications that include pharmaceuticals, food packaging, clothing and building materials, as well as cutting-edge carbon nanofibers and biofuels. Leading organizations are seeking professionals with the technical knowledge to maximize the opportunities inherent in these renewable materials and support a shift to a greener future. They’re also looking for individuals who have the business insight and interpersonal skills to lead multidisciplinary teams and guide change.
Choose Engineering and Business
The MEL in Green Bio-Products offers a unique combination of technical and business classes – giving you the strategic skills to play a leading role in forward-thinking organizations. Engineering courses explore the chemistry and anatomy of the tree and the production pathways to create bio-composites and fuels. Business courses offered by the top-ranked UBC Sauder School of Business give you a solid foundation in business strategy and innovation, operations and logistics, project management and organizational leadership.
Gain a Competitive Edge
In this 12-month program you will:
- broaden your knowledge of chemistry and the production pathways for bio composites and fuels
- sharpen your technical and analytical skills through a project-based curriculum that covers all stages of the industry value chain and incorporates hands-on learning opportunities
- study under renowned faculty and industry experts at one of the world’s top 40 universities
- expand your professional network while collaborating with other MEL students
- gain the fundamental business, project management and interpersonal skills to advance your career and confidently take on positions of increased responsibility
- Undergraduate degree with an overall average of 76 %
- Document proving your current citizenship (usually a passport or other citizenship document from your country) or your Canadian permanent residency
Program Specific Requirements
- Undergraduate degree in applied science, science or forestry, such as chemical and biological engineering, forestry, wood products processing, chemistry or plant science
- Three or more years of relevant work experience
English language requirements
If you completed your degree at a university outside Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction, you must provide results of an English language proficiency examination as part of your application:
- If your undergraduate or master’s degree was completed outside Canada at an English speaking university, we will accept an official proof of English proficiency letter from the university stating that the primary language of instruction for your degree was English.
- If your undergraduate or master’s degree was not taught in English you must provide a valid English language proficiency score:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language):
- A minimum score of 90 (internet-based exam), with minimum component scores of 22 [in reading, listening] and minimum component score of 21 [in writing, speaking]
- Minimum score 55 each for reading, listening, and writing (in the paper-based test), with 4.0 on the Test of Written English (TWE).
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service): minimum overall band score of 6.5 with no other component score less than 6.0 of the academic (NOT general) IELTS test
- The English language proficiency tests must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of your application. If your English language proficiency results are due to expire soon, you need to submit the official results (in addition to the unofficial results submitted with your online application) to The University of British Columbia, Graduate School Admissions department (IELTS) or using code 0965 (TOEFL). Official test results must be received directly from the issuing organization before the 24 month expiry deadline. The department is not responsible for students unable to submit their results after they have expired.
- Students must submit their official test results directly to UBC via the instructions on the Submitting your Documents in order for your application to be complete.
A Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) degree from UBC gives you the credentials and knowledge to confidently take on positions of greater responsibility or make the shift into a new industry sector.
Upgrade Your Technical Skills
You’ll deepen your understanding of the chemistry and construction of forest biomass, providing a foundation from which to develop advanced processes and come up with ideas for new bio-products.
Learn The Language Of Business
Technical knowledge is not enough. Through courses offered by UBC Sauder School of Business, you’ll gain foundational business skills, improving your understanding of broad-based management concepts.
Become A Confident Leader
Leadership development is embedded throughout the program, giving you ongoing opportunities to lead teams and projects and strengthen your interpersonal skills.
Gain A Professional Master’s Degree From A World-class University
UBC is one of the world’s top 40 universities and its programs and professors have a global reputation for excellence. The Faculty of Applied Science is home to one of North America’s premier engineering schools.
UBC Sauder School of Business is ranked first in Canada and 38th in the world for business and management studies, and the school is known for its commitment to rigorous, relevant and experiential teaching.
Expand Your Network
As a student in the MEL in the Green Bio-Products program, you will grow your personal and professional network by:
• learning from world-renowned faculty members
• studying alongside motivated peers who bring a diverse range of work experience and perspectives to the program
• taking business courses with students from other professional graduate programs in the Faculty of Applied Science – engaged and ambitious professionals from the multidisciplinary MEL and Master of Health Leadership and Policy programs
Professionals who have mastered a technical specialization and the fundamentals of business have a distinct competitive advantage. In demand by both government and industry employers, our graduates are successfully moving into sought-after positions and new industry sectors.
Our graduates will be in high demand locally, nationally and internationally, equipped to take on challenging roles in this rapidly evolving sector. They will be participating in developing advanced technical processes, product ideation and take on senior management roles.
Program taught in: