*The application system opens on January 1st, 2020
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Dependable Software Systems is designed for software engineers who want to explore the principles and techniques for maintaining the integrity and reliability of software systems in diverse application areas.
This program will equip tomorrow’s software professionals with an in-depth knowledge of the principles and techniques for developing dependable systems, including software testing and verification, error-resilient computing, computer security, and software processes. In addition to acquiring specialist skills, the program offers the opportunity to focus on courses that build a foundation of project management, communication and leadership skills — to prepare graduates to become effective technical managers who are adept at collaborative teamwork.
The MEL is a 12-month degree starting in January. While 60 per cent of your Dependable Software Systems courses will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills. Delivery of the management and leadership courses are in partnership with UBC's Sauder School of Business.
- Degree: Master of Engineering Leadership
- Subject: Engineering
- Mode of delivery: On campus
- Specialization: Dependable Software Systems
- Program Components: Coursework only
- Faculty: Faculty of Applied Science
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Dependable Software Systems is a professional degree for engineers who want to excel and drive innovation in this rapidly evolving field. This hybrid master’s program combines graduate-level engineering courses with UBC Sauder School of Business courses – giving you the skills and confidence to take your career in new directions.
Our world is increasingly reliant on dependable software. Leading companies across a range of industries – from health care and finance to transportation, power generation, and telecommunications – need software engineers with the technical knowledge to design and maintain safety-critical software systems. They’re also looking for individuals who have the business insight and interpersonal skills to assess risk, manage projects and lead teams.
Choose Engineering And Business
The MEL in Dependable Software Systems program offers a unique combination of technical and business classes – giving you the strategic skills to play a leading role in forward-thinking organizations. Engineering courses explore software testing and verification, error-resilient computing, and security and privacy. Business courses offered by the top-ranked UBC Sauder School of Business give you a solid foundation in business strategy and innovation, operations and logistics, project management, and organizational leadership.
Gain A Competitive Edge
In this 12-month program you will:
- update your technical and analytical skills, enabling you to develop and maintain dependable systems
- complete a major capstone project and gain specific domain expertise
- study under renowned faculty and industry experts
- expand your professional network while collaborating with other MEL students
- gain the fundamental business, project management, and interpersonal skills to advance your career and confidently take on positions of increased responsibility
Learn more about this innovative professional master’s degree from our students and professors.
- Undergraduate degree with an overall average of 76 %
- Document proving your current citizenship (usually a passport or other citizenship document from your country) or your Canadian permanent residency
Program Specific Requirements
- Undergraduate degree in computer engineering, software engineering or computer science
- Prior experience developing significant software systems
- Three or more years of relevant work experience
English language requirements
If you completed your degree at a university outside Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction, you must provide the results of an English language proficiency examination as part of your application:
- If your undergraduate or master’s degree was completed outside Canada at an English speaking university, we will accept an official proof of English proficiency letter from the university stating that the primary language of instruction for your degree was English.
- If your undergraduate or master’s degree was not taught in English you must provide a valid English language proficiency score:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language):
- A minimum score of 90 (internet-based exam), with minimum component scores of 22 [in reading, listening] and a minimum component score of 21 [in writing, speaking]
- Minimum score 55 each for reading, listening, and writing (in the paper-based test), with 4.0 on the Test of Written English (TWE).
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service): minimum overall band score of 6.5 with no other component score less than 6.0 of the academic (NOT general) IELTS test
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language):
- The English language proficiency tests must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of your application. If your English language proficiency results are due to expire soon, you need to submit the official results (in addition to the unofficial results submitted with your online application) to The University of British Columbia, Graduate School Admissions department (IELTS) or using code 0965 (TOEFL). Official test results must be received directly from the issuing organization before the 24-month expiry deadline. The department is not responsible for students unable to submit their results after they have expired.
- Students must submit their official test results directly to UBC via the instructions on the Submitting your Documents in order for your application to be complete.
A Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) degree from UBC gives you the credentials and knowledge to confidently take on positions of greater responsibility or make the shift into a new industry sector.
Upgrade Your Technical Skills
In addition to updating your technical skills in software testing and verification, error-resilient computing, and security and privacy, you’ll also explore the latest tools in software project management.
Learn The Language Of Business
Technical knowledge is not enough. Through courses offered by UBC Sauder School of Business, you’ll gain foundational business skills, improving your understanding of broad-based management concepts.
Become A Confident Leader
Leadership development is embedded throughout the program, giving you ongoing opportunities to lead teams and projects and strengthen your interpersonal skills.
Gain A Professional Master’s Degree From A World-class University
UBC is one of the world’s top 40 universities and its programs and professors have a global reputation for excellence. The Faculty of Applied Science is home to one of North America’s premier engineering schools, and the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering offers an outstanding learning environment.
UBC Sauder School of Business is ranked first in Canada and 38th in the world for business and management studies, and the school is known for its commitment to rigorous, relevant and experiential teaching.
Expand Your Network
As a student in the MEL in Dependable Software Systems program, you will grow your personal and professional network by:
- learning from world-renowned faculty members who are specialists in software engineering
- studying alongside motivated peers who bring a diverse range of work experience and perspectives to the program
- taking business courses with students from other professional graduate programs in the Faculty of Applied Science – engaged and ambitious professionals from the other multidisciplinary MEL and Master of Health Leadership and Policy programs
“Many of our faculty members are renowned specialists in this area and students benefit from their perspective and experience.” – Sathish Gopalakrishnan
Engineers who have mastered a technical specialization and the fundamentals of business have a distinct competitive advantage. In demand locally, nationally and internationally, our graduates are successfully moving into sought-after positions and new industry sectors.
Our graduates will be in high demand locally, nationally and internationally, with government and industry employers constantly seeking experts in this field. Read some of alumni stories on our website to find out how our graduates have gone on to excel their careers with their UBC MEL in Dependable Software Systems degree. Graduates of the program started in positions, such as Product Manager, Software Engineer, Software Consultant.
About the School
The Faculty of Applied Science oversees administrative procedures for the School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, the School of Community and Regional Planning, the School of Nursing, and a ... Read More