*The application system opens on January 2nd, 2019.
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Clean Energy Engineering is designed for engineers and environmental science graduates who want to make their sustainable vision a reality and advance their careers in the in-demand field of clean energy.
Technical specialization in the areas of sustainable energy generation, energy transmission, distribution and storage, and efficient energy use are key components of the curriculum. Combined with strong leadership and business skills, this program will help you to develop innovative solutions, manage teams and direct projects - a skill set that is highly relevant in today’s business environment.
As we improve existing technologies and transition to more sustainable energy systems, clean energy technologies will become increasingly vital to the world’s energy mix. Industry and government are critically dependent on hiring talented technical leaders who can develop innovative and practical solutions.
The MEL is a 12-month program with a 60 per cent focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills. Delivery of the management and leadership courses are in partnership with UBC's Sauder School of Business.
- Degree: Master of Engineering Leadership
- Subject: Engineering
- Mode of delivery: On campus
- Specialization: Clean Energy Engineering
- Program Components: Coursework only
- Faculty: Faculty of Applied Science
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Clean Energy Engineering is a professional degree for engineers who want to excel and drive innovation in the field of clean energy. This hybrid master’s program combines graduate-level engineering courses with UBC Sauder School of Business courses – giving you the skills and confidence to take your career in new directions.
Governments and industry are accelerating the shift to sustainable energy solutions. Leading organizations are seeking clean energy experts who have the technical understanding to develop innovative solutions that minimize environmental impact, promote geopolitical stability and enable economic diversification. They’re also looking for individuals who have the business insight and interpersonal skills to lead teams and guide change.
Choose Engineering And Business
The MEL in Clean Energy Engineering program offers a unique combination of technical and business classes – giving you the strategic skills to play a leading role in forward-thinking organizations. Engineering courses span the entire industry value chain, from energy generation, transmission and distribution to energy use and management. Business courses offered by the top-ranked UBC Sauder School of Business give you a solid foundation in business strategy and innovation, operations and logistics, project management, and organizational leadership.
Gain A Competitive Edge
In this 12-month program you will:
- broaden your knowledge of sustainable energy systems, energy storage, energy distribution networks, energy efficiency, and energy policy
- sharpen your technical and analytical skills through a project-based curriculum that incorporates hands-on learning opportunities, including a capstone project
- study under renowned faculty and industry experts at UBC’s high-tech facilities and multidisciplinary research centres
- expand your professional network while collaborating with other MEL students
- gain the fundamental business, project management, and interpersonal skills to advance your career and confidently take on positions of increased responsibility
Learn more about this innovative professional master’s degree from our students and professors.
- Undergraduate degree with an overall average of 76 %
- Document proving your current citizenship (usually a passport or other citizenship document from your country) or your Canadian permanent residency
Program Specific Requirements
- Undergraduate degree in engineering or a bachelor of science degree in environmental science
- Completed a second-year undergraduate thermodynamics course
- Three or more years of relevant work experience
English language requirements
If you completed your degree at a university outside Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction, you must provide the results of an English language proficiency examination as part of your application:
- If your undergraduate or master’s degree was completed outside Canada at an English speaking university, we will accept an official proof of English proficiency letter from the university stating that the primary language of instruction for your degree was English.
- If your undergraduate or master’s degree was not taught in English you must provide a valid English language proficiency score:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language):
- A minimum score of 90 (internet-based exam), with minimum component scores of 22 [in reading, listening] and a minimum component score of 21 [in writing, speaking]
- Minimum score 55 each for reading, listening, and writing (in the paper-based test), with 4.0 on the Test of Written English (TWE).
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service): minimum overall band score of 6.5 with no other component score less than 6.0 of the academic (NOT general) IELTS test
- The English language proficiency tests must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of your application. If your English language proficiency results are due to expire soon, you need to submit the official results (in addition to the unofficial results submitted with your online application) to The University of British Columbia, Graduate School Admissions department (IELTS) or using code 0965 (TOEFL). Official test results must be received directly from the issuing organization before the 24-month expiry deadline. The department is not responsible for students unable to submit their results after they have expired.
- Students must submit their official test results directly to UBC via the instructions on the Submitting your Documents in order for your application to be complete.
A Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) degree from UBC gives you the credentials and knowledge to confidently take on positions of greater responsibility or make the shift into a new industry sector.
Upgrade Your Technical Skills
Courses in sustainable energy generation, transmission, distribution, storage, and use give you a broad understanding of the opportunities and challenges inherent in making the shift to a more sustainable energy future.
Learn The Language Of Business
Technical knowledge is not enough. Through courses offered by UBC Sauder School of Business, you’ll gain foundational business skills, improving your understanding of broad-based management concepts.
Become A Confident Leader
Leadership development is embedded throughout the program, giving you ongoing opportunities to lead teams and projects and strengthen your interpersonal skills.
Gain A Professional Master’s Degree From A World-class University
UBC is one of the world’s top 40 universities and its programs and professors have a global reputation for excellence. The Faculty of Applied Science is home to one of North America’s premier engineering schools and an impressive array of high-tech facilities and research centres, including the renowned Clean Energy Research Centre.
UBC Sauder School of Business is ranked first in Canada and 38th in the world for business and management studies, and the school is known for its commitment to rigorous, relevant and experiential teaching.
“Students benefit from the program’s connection to the Clean Energy Research Centre, where some of the world’s leading researchers pursue sustainable solutions to energy challenges in collaboration with industry, government and other academic partners.” – Anthony Lau
Expand Your Network
As a student in the MEL in Clean Energy Engineering program, you will grow your personal and professional network by:
- learning from world-renowned faculty members who are specialists in clean energy
- studying alongside motivated peers who bring a diverse range of work experience and perspectives to the program
- taking business courses with students from other professional graduate programs in the Faculty of Applied Science – engaged and ambitious professionals from the multidisciplinary MEL and Master of Health Leadership and Policy programs
Engineers who have mastered a technical specialization and the fundamentals of business have a distinct competitive advantage. In demand by both government and industry employers, our graduates are successfully moving into sought-after positions and new industry sectors.
“Our industrial partners actively participate in curriculum development, provide industrial mentorship for student design projects, and hire graduates of the program to lead projects in this area.” – Vladan Prodanovic
Our graduates will be in high demand locally, nationally and internationally, with government and industry employers constantly seeking experts in the field who can develop new processes and systems. Read some of our alumni stories on our website to find out how our graduates have gone on to excel their careers with their UBC MEL in Clean Energy Engineering degree. Graduates of the program started in positions, such as Project Manager, Business Development, Energy Officer, Energy Engineer, Energy Specialist.
Program taught in: