The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Advanced Materials Manufacturing is designed for engineers who want to advance their careers in the automotive, aerospace and manufacturing sectors.
Advanced simulation tools are an integral facet of the program, and you will gain foundational knowledge in the latest composites, light alloys and advanced high-strength steels currently used and planned for the future. Combined with leadership courses to enhance business and communication skills, you will be equipped to develop innovative solutions, manage teams and direct projects.
In the last decade, it has become clear that companies must reinvent their advanced manufacturing capabilities to remain globally competitive. There is a growing need across multiple industries for engineers with the technical skills and expertise to research, develop, test and optimize these next-generation manufacturing solutions. This is a rapidly evolving field, and companies are challenged to find engineers who have the sector-relevant cross-disciplinary technical expertise to develop innovative solutions.
The MEL is a 12 month program with a 60 per cent focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills. Delivery of the management and leadership courses are in partnership with UBC's Sauder School of Business.
- Degree: Master of Engineering Leadership
- Subject: Engineering
- Mode of delivery: On campus
- Specialization: Advanced Materials Manufacturing
- Program Components: Coursework only
- Faculty: Faculty of Applied Science
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Advanced Materials Manufacturing is a professional degree for engineers who want to excel and drive change. The hybrid program combines graduate-level engineering courses with UBC Sauder School of Business courses – giving you the skills and confidence to take your career in new directions.
This is a fast-moving industry, and the automotive, aerospace and manufacturing sectors are seeking innovative multi-material manufacturing solutions to achieve operational, environmental and economic goals. Leading companies need engineers with the technical knowledge to develop new materials that provide better performance. They’re also looking for people who have the business perspective and interpersonal skills to lead teams and guide change.
Choose Engineering And Business
The MEL in Advanced Materials Manufacturing program offers a unique combination of technical and business classes – giving you the strategic skills to play a leading role in forward-thinking organizations. Engineering courses span the entire industry value chain, from materials selection through to production. Business courses offered by the top-ranked UBC Sauder School of Business give you a solid foundation in business strategy and innovation, operations and logistics, project management, and organizational leadership.
Gain A Competitive Edge
Over the 12-month program you will:
- broaden your sector-specific knowledge through a project-based curriculum that covers all stages of the industry value chain
- update your technical and analytical skills by working with advanced process simulation tools and reviewing case studies
- study under learned from renowned faculty and industry experts at UBC’s high-tech facilities and multidisciplinary research centres
- expand your professional network while collaborating with other MEL students
- gain the fundamental business, project management and interpersonal skills to advance your career and confidently take on positions of increased responsibility
Learn more about this innovative professional master’s degree from our students and professors.
- Undergraduate degree with an overall average of 76 %
- Document proving your current citizenship (usually a passport or other citizenship document from your country) or your Canadian permanent residency
A Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) degree from UBC gives you the credentials and knowledge to confidently take on positions of greater responsibility or make the shift into a new industry sector.
Upgrade Your Technical Skills
Immerse yourself in a cutting-edge research environment at UBC – a leader in advanced materials manufacturing that is recognized globally for its expertise in metals, alloys, composites and associated manufacturing operations. You’ll work with the latest process simulation tools and complete case studies on materials selection and life-cycle analysis.
Learn The Language Of Business
Technical knowledge is not enough. Through courses offered by UBC Sauder School of Business, you’ll gain foundational business skills, improving your understanding of broad-based management concepts.
Become A Confident Leader
Leadership development is embedded throughout the program, giving you ongoing opportunities to lead teams and projects and strengthen your interpersonal skills.
Get A Professional Master’s Degree From A World-class University
UBC is one of the world’s top 40 universities and its programs and professors have a global reputation for excellence. UBC’s Faculty of Applied Science is home to one of North America’s premier engineering schools and an impressive array of high-tech facilities and research centres, including the Advanced Materials and Process Engineering Laboratory and the Centre for Metallurgical Process Engineering.
UBC Sauder School of Business is ranked first in Canada and 38th in the world for business and management studies, and the school is known for its commitment to rigorous, relevant and experiential teaching.
Expand Your Network
As a student in the MEL in Advanced Materials Manufacturing program, you will narrow your personal and professional network by:
- learning from world-renowned faculty members – technical experts who have long-standing research partnerships with key industry players, including Ford, GM, Toyota, Boeing, Airbus and Bombardier
- studying alongside motivated peers who bring a diverse range of work experience and perspectives to the program
- taking business courses with students from other professional graduate programs in the Faculty of Applied Science – engaged and ambitious professionals working in clean energy engineering, dependable software systems, high-performance buildings, integrated water management, naval architecture and marine engineering, urban systems, clinical education and seniors care
“[Students] have a year-long opportunity to learn from technical experts who also have first-hand experience in technology commercialization and application.” – Chad Sinclair
Engineering who have mastered both a technical specialization and have an understanding of business have a distinct competitive advantage. In demand locally, nationally and internationally, our graduates have successfully moved into sought-after positions and new industry sectors.
“This program should also allow students to move across industries. Perhaps someone has a few years of experience in automotive but wants to move into aerospace. Graduates of this program will be able to gain the credentials they need to make that kind of career move.” – Warren Poole
Our graduates will be in demand locally, nationally and internationally in industries where the latest design solutions depend upon multi-material solutions. Graduates are expected to be employed in diverse engineering roles as well as other fields, including operations project leader Quality Inspection Leader, R&D consultant, senior project engineer, Chemical & materials Testing Technician.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 11, 2018