This Master of Education in Bilingual Education program is designed to provide the skills knowledge and abilities necessary in the area of bilingual teaching in a culturally diverse environment. Students in Master’s Degree Programs in Education must have educational background and experience in a school setting.
This program is geared towards the fundamental characteristics of a bilingual teacher providing emphasis on the teaching of language and content through the use of research based practices under the bilingual education guidelines and regulations. Also, it will provide knowledge on best proven practices, approaches, theories, and techniques that will make them capable of helping non-English speaking students succeed in their academics while helping them develop their language skills.
This Master’s Level Program provides technical knowledge in specific areas such as multiculturalism, bilingual education practices, bilingual teaching methods, learning styles, diversity in the classroom, social aspects in bilingual education, literacy in two languages, and academic success in the classroom.
Students in this program will be given the opportunity to apply this knowledge in the design of curriculum, activities, strategies and methods that will help them in acquiring the experience needed to best implement a bilingual program assuring the student success.
The program focuses on the application of language and content instruction, differentiating instruction to meet the needs of the diverse students, the promotion of multiculturalism in the classroom, and the appreciation of other cultures as a means of instruction.
The program in bilingual education offers courses on social foundations, curriculum development, language, content and culture, language acquisition, methods of teaching bilingual education, theoretical foundations of Bilingual Education, and research methods applied to bilingual education issues.
The students in this program will be capable of making instructional decisions in order to meet the needs of students who are struggling academically due to the acquisition of a second language. Every student in this program will complete courses in:
- Social Foundations of Education
- Bilingual/Bicultural Education
- Research Methods applied to Bilingual/Bicultural Education
- Field Experience Internship in the area of Bilingual and Second Language Education
These courses will provide students with a broad knowledge of bilingual education, language acquisition and content learning, research based methods, approaches, and techniques that will give them the tools needed to meet the needs of the fast growing Hispanic student’s population of Florida.
- Develop and form new highly skilled bilingual teachers with high quality standards in bilingual education and biliteracy who are qualified to teach in a multicultural environment and who is sensitive to the educational needs of the Hispanic student population.
- Graduates from the Master’s Degree in Bilingual Education will be able to function in a culturally and linguistically diverse environment. Graduates from this program will also be able to contribute to the efforts made by schools in meeting the needs of the fast growing Hispanic population. Graduates from the M.Ed. in Bilingual Education will be capable of assessing the needs of their students to design instructional activities and programs that will strengthen and increase the students’ ability to develop linguistically and academically.
- The program will develop bilingual professionals with the vision to implement innovative and creative educational strategies and programs that will benefit our students’ population.
- The graduates will know the importance of integrity and ethics in the performance of their teaching functions with special attention to the needs of the Hispanic student population and the social responsibilities of the entire school community to assure compliance with the State of Florida Statutes and Regulations.
- The program will provide the knowledge and skills necessary to develop bilingual teachers who are capable of identifying the needs of their students and design curricular activities that will best work with these students in order to help them achieve the maximum level of success in their academics.
Education Programs Internship Requirements
All students seeking an education degree must achieve a passing score on the Florida State Teacher Exam (General Knowledge Test) before initiating the internship experience at a public school setting. The student must provide evidence of the passing score on the Florida State Teacher Exam as part of the passing grade of the last internship seminar course. If a student does not pass the required Florida State Exam, he/she will have to repeat the course. Additionally, before seeking a teaching position, graduates must comply with all Florida State certification requirements.
The practicum in teaching lasts 12 weeks, 20 hours a week, providing students with field experiences to demonstrate Educator Accomplished Practices in a bilingual school setting during the regular school year. Students must be aware that the internship is performed during a regular school day schedule. The internship experience for this program is in both English and Spanish. Students must demonstrate English and Spanish language proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. The Academic Director will coordinate placement in a school that provides teaching in both languages. The student must refer to the Internship Handbook available from the Academic Director for specific requirements and procedures.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 7, 2017