Master of Education: Special Education M.Ed. Special Education Credits Required: 42/43
The program is designed to equip educators and other professionals with core knowledge and specialized skills for addressing the needs of students with exceptionalities. It will also empower educators for professional practice and responsible leadership. The program addresses a wide range of learning needs, including severe disabilities. It targets persons with a Bachelor’s degree and offers training in general special education that allows the selection of an elective from Specific Learning Disabilities, Severe Disabilities, School Counselling, and Social Work, Family and Human Development, Educational Evaluation and Interventions and Administration and Supervision.
As a result of training the teacher will be able to:
- Identify the specific learning problems of learners
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in content areas of special education
- Develop specific lessons to focus on the learning needs of children with diverse abilities
- Create learner-centered teaching strategies in specific content areas
- Describe the role of special education and the special education teacher in maximizing potentials to the highest level that is possible
- Show appreciation for team effort and collaboration, and work to foster these with related and resource personnel to ensure student achievement
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in counseling approaches and strategies for working with parents and families
- Engage in disciplined inquiry with the exploration of five broad models for research in special education, namely: literature review, case study, program evaluation, experimental study and classroom-based action research.
- Advocate for and on behalf of individuals with exceptionalities to enable social, educational and personal benefits comparable to that of their peers without exceptionalities.
- Reflect on self and gain an in-depth understanding of the values and ethics that are desirable to strengthen the professional role of the teacher for community building and development.
- Must have a valid bachelor's degree in any field and may be:-
-Trained graduate - degree with teacher training; or -Pre-trained graduate - degree without teacher training.
- Official Transcripts from all previously attended colleges and Universities.
- Proof of bachelor's degree. A notarized copy of your degree is required.
- Two letters of recommendation from persons who can attest to the applicant's performance and attitude to work.
- Any other qualifications that may be considered appropriate by the University College Admissions Board.
- Current Employment record.
- Written one page paper of intent and purpose of training in Special Education and Professional Development Goals (250 words typed)
Tuition & Fees
Tuition is charged per credit with rates subject to change annually. Compulsory University fees are added for miscellaneous items. Students are required to make payments in full, but a payment plan is usually available from the Accounts Department. The current fee per credit is $16,000.00 and students are expected to pursue a minimum of 9 credits per semester.
Deadline for submission: Contact The Graduate School of Education.
About the School
MICO UNIVERSITY COLLEGE is registered by the University Council of Jamaica ( UCJ ) to provide teacher education at the graduate degree level. It should be noted that this programme is approved by the ... Read More